Prologue

Leah's POV

I stood at the top of the stairs with my brother and our new friends, Ron and Hermione. I couldn't help but bounce on the balls of my feet in excitement because just a few days ago I was living in a closet as my Aunt and Uncle continuously humiliated me, and now I'm surrounded by people like me that have the up most respect for me. Honestly it's a little odd.

"So it's true then the Potter's have come to Hogwarts." I turn slightly to see a platinum blonde smirking at my brother and I, and I step back sightly put off by the situation. How did he... Then my hand flys to the left side of my neck where the lightning bolt scar has burned in my skin since I was a baby.

"This is Crabbe, Goyle, and I'm Malfoy Draco Malfoy." I keep my head down finding the boy to be a bit arrogant, and my suspicions are confirmed when he goes off on poor Ron. My small hand instantly flies to Ron's shoulder, and my head whips up to glare at Malfoy something he returns. "You two will find out soon that some wizarding families are better than others..." He stops to look at Ron who I'm still holding onto as if to say he's the wrong sort.

"You don't want to go making friends with the wrong ones."

"Oh get off your high horse Draco like our family is so great." I glance slightly behind him to see a skinny blonde standing behind him, and when she glares you can see the features they share. "Shut it Mara..."

"I think we can tell the wrong sort for ourselves" I deadpan cutting him off before he can further insult the girl who I can only assume to be his twin. He shoves past her pushing into me and I help her steady herself again as she gives me a warming smile.

"What's your name?" I ask as professor McGonagall leads us into the Great Hall. "Mara Malfoy" she responds keeping her voice down as we pass by all the other students. It takes me a second to compose myself still sightly put off not only by her brother but by her appearance. Here I am with tangled curls refusing to lie down while she stands with her back perfectly straight and not a hair out of place.

"I'm Leah, this is my brother Harry, and our friends Ron and Hermione" I introduce while Harry and Hermione give big eager waves Ron just nods his head with a gulp probably still worried she'll harass his family the first chance she gets.

"Are you nervous?" She asked me as Hermione walked up the steps looking like she'll pass out at any moment. "No... Should I be?" Nerves taking over as I see how worried she actually is.

"I guess you don't have anything to worry about. The one house my parents want me in is the one I really don't want to be in..." She trails off clapping for Hermione as she skips off the stage almost looking envious. "Draco Malfoy!"

She rolls her eyes as the hat shouts Slytherin before it's even on his head, and I have to shush Ron and Harry who are whispering about Slytherin and there evil rein. When they notice Mara trembling next to me they immediately shut up. "Do you have a good relationship with your brother?" I ask trying my best to keep her distracted, but I guess that might not have been the best thing to ask to do so.

"Yes actually, he's always been so protective and loving towards me. He's only a prat to people because he wants to please my father who believes our family is better than everyone." I want to ask why but my name is being called, and I give my brother a quick hug as we pass each other and he happily heads to the Gryffindor table where Ron and Hermione are.

"Aww another Potter, just like your brother I see... Loyal, very smart smarter than your brother even, ambitious to try new things, and a sense of bravery you don't even know about. Do you want a say in which house you should be put in as well?"

"No sir, I'm sure you know better than I do" I whisper still finding it hard to believe that I'm talking to a hat. "Aww and kind to I'm going to say... Gryffindor!" I step off the platform shooting Mara a smile as I sit down next to Ron allowing everyone near to shake my hand, and felt bad that I couldn't keep up with all there names.