Last Minute Preparations

Above is Mara's Yule Ball look

Mara's POV

"Guys can we please go back inside it's freezing?" I whine turning to Leah and Hermione who are also shivering, but for some reason refuse to move. "We could but..." Leah turns to Hermione both of them clearly struggling to come up with a lame excuse for why we can't move.

"Fresh air! We need fresh air." Hermione exclaims her voice rising slightly with excitement. "I need to study and I can't do that if I can't feel my body." I groan pulling my cloak closer to my shivering and numb body. "Just a few more minutes." Leah whispers almost to no one her green eyes darting all across the courtyard.

I'm about to go through her mind and figure out what the heck is going on when a fire cracker like thing goes off, and once I turn around my eyes catch sight of glittery dust like words spreading across the dreary sky.

"Mara will you go to the ball with me." I mumble to myself temporarily forgetting how cold I am as I smile up at the sky in a trance. "Do we like it that much?" Long arms wrap around my waist and soft red hair brushes my cheek, and I just continue to smile.

"Yes, I didn't think we were asking each other? I thought it was obvious..." I trail off a guilty blush blooming on my cheeks. "Well I wasn't if I'm being honest, but then I saw the Drumstrang lot acting all fancy and asking girls. Who would go off and talk amongst their friends excitedly, and I wanted you to have that."

"And you couldn't just ask, you had to add fireworks?" I ask teasingly, but deep down I wouldn't have wanted him to do it any other way. "Well I had to upstage everyone else." He chuckles and I roll my eyes George never being one for bluntness.

"Yes."

"Yes what?" He asked completely oblivious as I continue to stare up at the now faded words. "Yes I'll go to the ball with you!" I exclaim overdramatically catching the attention of a few of our passing peers.

"Oh... I just assumed you were going to say yes." He admits with a shrug, and I playfully smack his shoulder.

"You really need to stop assuming things."
------------------------------------------------------------------

Leah's POV

"No way!" I cry the cupcake ball gown to wide, and I have to squeeze through the opening of the dressing room. Mara and Hermione freeze eyes widening as they take in the orange gown the ruffles practically suffocating me. "Who gave you that?" Hermione gasps holding one of the ruffledA sleeves between her forefingers like a dead rat.

"The sales lady, I thought I would be nice and at least try it on." I sigh my eyes shaping into a harsh glare as Mara starts laughing. "Well I think we can all agree that this beauty is a no, and now I'm going to try on my dress." She chirps skipping into her changing room. While we wait I zealously stare at Hermione's pink dress the layers lying nicely on hers while mine makes me look like a pumpkin.

"You'll find a dress Leah, stop worrying." I drop my head my eyes stinging as I stare at the neon orange. I pray to Merlin I find the dress I'm picturing, something settle but beautiful. However I'm sure my friends have other ideas for my look.

"How does this look?" Mara asks and I follow her voice to see she's wearing a tulle light purple dress delicate lace flowers covering the bodice and the bottom of the skirt. "I have a pair of shoes that will match nicely." She adds.

"Or you could just buy a new pair of shoes." Hermione teases, but I can hear her more logical side in her voice. Surely Mara wouldn't buy a dress simply because a pair of old shoes. "In case you two forgot, I've been cut off and I need to save money where I can."