Fidus Achates

Mara's POV

"Thanks Mar for coming with me. I promised Dobby I would come back and see him, but I didn't want to come alone." Leah laughs awkwardly as we make our way to the kitchen, and honestly I don't blame her. Going into a kitchen harboring hundreds of house elves is a challenge almost worse than facing a dragon.

"Of course what are friends for?" I ask playfully nudging her shoulder as she tickles the pear in the portrait.

"Leah Potter has returned!" Dobby's familiar squeaky voice sang, and I chuckled catching his attention. "And she has brought Mara Malfoy!" He jumped at our feet several other elves lurking behind him terrified but curious looks crossing their faces.

"Hi Dobby..." I was cut off as he jumped up squeezing me tightly with an immense amount of strength that you would not believe. When he finally let go and I got to see him for myself I start laughing tears of joy brimming in my eyes because he looks so different.

Overall he looks happier, his eyes are wide, he's smiling, and he standing tall and proud. His mental health also seems to be doing at lot better considering he's no longer inflicting pain on himself whenever he thinks he messed up.

"Dobby has heard about Mara Malfoy losing her home, and Dobby is most grateful she is free as well from those dark wizards..."

"Miss. Malfoy must forgive Dobby. He is confused and means no disrespect to the Malfoy's." A feminine house elf cried, I and turned to see Winky on her knees hands clasped tightly together as she braced herself for my reaction. She dropped her head when I tried to get down to her level so we could talk refusing to look at me even as Leah and I both told her it was okay.

"Winky it's okay, I don't actually like my family either. Whatever Dobby says he's probably right." I chuckle and I catch fear swell up in her eyes as she spares me a glance before quickly running away still sobbing.

"So far this has been a productive visit..." I mumble earning a sharp glare from Leah for my bluntness. "Dobby is sorry he called Mara Malfoy's parents dark wizards..."

"Well are they?" Leah cut him off looking between the two of us with those green eyes that would let her get away with murder. "I'm not for sure..." I whisper being first because even though Dobby is free old habits die hard. "But I wouldn't put it past my father."

She gulps taking a deep breath before focusing back on Dobby a false smile that even he can see through on her lips. "Nevermind that we're here to visit with Dobby." He nods matching her smile, but I can tell he's concerned about her.

I roll my eyes about to snap at her because that's one of the only ways to make her realise she's overreacting, but the door, if you can even call it that, swings open our two favorite twins scampering in.

However we all freeze upon seeing each other George and I locking eyes as our two best friends obliviously gaze into the other's eyes. No one dared moving except Dobby who looked between all of us in confusion.

"What are you doing here?" George finally spoke up looking between the two of us trying to get Leah's attention, but she didn't dare move a muscle. "Just spending time with our favorite house elf, and you?" I spoke up sucking in deeply as I took in the pain etched across my best friends face as she finally pulled away from Fred's equally hurt stare.

"Getting a snack before bed." Fred mutters looking to his brother a small grin forming like he's trying to forget Leah is standing in front of him.

Several minutes pass as we all just continue to awkwardly stand there as the house elves approach the twins with food like this is apart of their daily routine. Fred gratefully takes it and immediately turns to leave muttering a barely audible goodbye leaving the rest of us to stare dumbly at where he was standing.