Accusations and Nightmares

Mara's POV

"He was sanest when he was trying to talk about Voldemort," Harry explained and I winced as another one of his memories from last night pierced my mind. "He was having real trouble stringing two words together, but that was when he seemed to know where he was, and know what he wanted to do. He just kept saying he had to see Dumbledore."

He scuffed his foot glaring at the rafters, and I could tell he blamed himself. "If Snape hadn't held me up," he said bitterly, "we might've got there in time. 'The headmaster is busy. Potter... what's this rubbish, Potter?' Why couldn't he have just got out of the way?"

"Maybe he didn't want you to get there!" Ron stated eyes bulging. "Maybe - hang on -
how fast d'you reckon he could've gotten down to the forest? D'you reckon he
could've beaten you and Dumbledore there?" Leah rolls her eyes from her corner where she excluded herself because she didn't want to hear what we were saying.

"Not unless he can turn himself into a bat or something," said Harry. I slowly crept to her setting a gentle hand on her shoulder, but she continued to feed her owl like I wasn't there at all. Her expression was stone cold and tired, and fear came off her in waves.

"Wouldn't put it past him," Ron muttered.

"Despite popular belief Snape is not a supervillain." She spat never turning to look at them, and Ron's about to retort when Hermione cuts him off.

"Leah's right, but as of right now we need to see Professor Moody. We need to find out whether he found Mr. Crouch," I agreed, but Leah seemed less than thrilled opted to keep her mouth shut. She wasn't with Harry last night, but as soon as he started explaining the situation her anxiety set in.

"If he had the Marauder's Map on him, it would've been easy," Harry said oblivious to his sister's discomfort. "Unless Crouch was already outside the grounds," said Ron, "because it only shows up to the boundaries, doesn't -"

"Shh!" Hermione hushed suddenly, and sure enough we could make out voices coming from the stairs.

"- that's blackmail, that is, we could get into a lot of trouble for that-"

Wait minute that's George's voice...

"- we've tried being polite; it's time to play dirty, like him. He wouldn't like the
Ministry of Magic knowing what he did -"

And that would be Fred, and finally Leah steps out of the corner her eyebrows knitting together as the banter continues. "I'm telling you, if you put that in writing, it's blackmail!" Why on earth are they talking about blackmail, and one glance at Leah and she's thinking the same thing.

"Yeah, and you won't be complaining if we get a nice fat payoff, will you?" She gasped slightly hearing Fred's words, and that's when the Owlery door flew open the older twins eyes immediately landing on us in shock.

"I'm so dead..."

"What're you doing here?" Ron and Fred asked at the same time as I glare George down. "Sending a letter," him and Harry both responded at the same time, but he never looks away from me. I'm assuming he knows we all heard based on how fidgety he is under my gaze.

"At this time?" Hermione asked innocently pushing to know more, but Fred just smirks refusing to look over at Leah and I. "Fine - we won't ask you what you're doing, if you don't ask us," he shrugged covering the name on the letter he's holding as he does so, and baffles me how nonchalant he is.

Even though I know it shouldn't.

"Well, don't let us hold you up," Fred teased Boeing dramatically trying to get us to leave, but none of us moved. "Who're you blackmailing?" Ron asked his voice demanding and harsh making the grin vanish from Fred's face.