Flashes From the Past

Mara's POV

"So do any of you know what curses are most heavily punished in the wizarding world?" Mad-eye asks both his eyes landing on me as if I should know... Well I do but that's not the point. Actually I probably know better than anybody in this room the power of the curses since my dad found it enjoyable to use them on me.

Well at least the first two...

Several hands tentatively rose around me while I kept mine firmly clutched in my lap. I'm not really liking where I think he's going with this.

"Weasley stand!" Moody demands standing in front of mine and Ron's joint desk. He slowly rises still cowering under Mad-eye's one good eye. I glance to my left where Leah and Harry are sitting looking intimidated while still seeming intrigued.

"Well my dad told me about the... The imperius curse..." Ron whispers his confidence disappearing once he looks up to meet Moody's emotionless stare. The stocky man's smirk grows as his eyes move in every direction never looking the same way as the other. He steps closer to us if that's even possible focusing both eyes on me for a split second before returning to his desk.

"Engorgio..." He barely whispers revealing a spider sitting in his hand that clearly has no idea what's going on. "Imperio!" Then the helpless spider starts floating through the air landing on a few students heads before tauntingly dangling over Ron's. I chuckle quietly when it finally drops on his head and he releases a shrill scream, but it quickly flips to my shoulder Moody probably waiting for me to cry.

However I just switch my sharp gaze from him to the spider unimpressed by the spectacle. It flies over a few more heads students screaming while the others laugh, but it dies down when Moody holds the spider dangerously close to the water bucket. I squirm as the poor insect struggles against the curse, and for a split second I thought he was going to do it.

He picks up on my fidgeting, and slowly brings the spider back still curiously glancing down at me. My heart beat quickens and I try my best to cover up my accelerated breathing, but he sees the fear etched deeply in my eyes and I'm almost positive his clenched features soften.

"Witches and wizards claimed they only did you know who's bidding under the imperius curse, but how do we sort out the liars..." His eyes linger on me for a little longer, and I slightly compose myself so I at least seem fine to my classmates, but in reality I'm anything but.

Memories of my father flashed through my mind, and before I could stop it I was trapped in my own world.

"If you want to associate with blood traitors then you're going to be treated like them." My father growls pressing his cane down on my collar bone keeping me trapped on the ground.

"But father..."

"No buts child, I could deal with you getting sorted into Gryffindor, but I will not have you bring shame to our name by befriending mudbloods and fooling around with Weasley's and Potter's." My eleven year old eyes look anywhere but up at my father knowing that if I do the tears I'm clenching back will spill over.

My first year at Hogwarts had finished, and my parents were already waiting at King Cross Station. Of course I didn't know this and I came skipping off the train Hermione and Leah at my side as George and Fred helped with our trunks. Still oblivious to the fact that my parents were right behind me I gave each one a hug even ruffling George's hair.

Then when I turned around to find my father glaring down at me I knew I was in trouble, but I never thought he would go this far...

"Crucio!"