Ch 14 Goodbye

Ash looked around for a possible threat but did not see anything. All of a sudden, a small, brown Pokémon ran to his leg and started to cuddle against it. Ash recognized the small Pokémon and smiled. He bent down and picked up the small Pokémon in his arms. "Hey, Eevee! What are you doing out here all alone?"

"She's not; she's out here with me," A soft voice said.

Ash turned around and saw the brunette standing in front of him. She was still wearing her yellow pajamas she wore to bed which told Ash that she just put on her shoes and left the room. "What are you doing here, May?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing," May said. "I noticed you weren't in the room and came to look for you. I sent out Eevee because I knew she would be able to find either you or Pikachu."

"Oh, uh," Ash muttered. He was trying to think of something to say when his eyes suddenly widened. He remembered that he and Pikachu were just talking to Celebi. Ash quickly glanced behind his shoulder to see if the Time-travel Pokémon was still there. He relaxed when he saw nothing there. He then finally responded to May. "Uh...Pikachu and I couldn't sleep, so we came out for a walk. But we're starting to get pretty tired, so we're going to head back now. We'll walk with you back to the room if that's alright with you."

"Yeah, let's head back," May said as she shivered a little. "It's starting to get cold out here. The wind is starting to pick up."

Ash put Eevee on the ground and walked up to May. "Here," He pulled off his sweater and gave it to her. "Put this on. It should keep you warm until we get back to the room."

"No, Ash," May replied as she shook her head. "You need to put your sweater back on or you'll get sick."

She shivered again as another small breezed occurred. Ash smiled. "I'll be alright," He replied. "I've been in colder weather than what it is right now. I actually think the breeze is nice, too."

"Ash just list-,"

"What would Norman and Caroline think if you were to show up at your house sick?" Ash responded. He knew May's parents did not like it when their kids were sick. Ash remembered the similar event in the future. He, May, and Max were traveling to Fortree City because Max wanted to face Winona for a badge. They had stopped by a lake to eat lunch before making it to the city. They were setting up when a wild Milotic appeared from the lake. May was mesmerized by the beautiful Pokémon and decided that she wanted to catch it. The Milotic saw May turn to grab a Poké ball and quickly took advantage by firing a Water Pulse towards the brunette; it dove in the water and left after shooting the attack. Ash quickly commanded Pikachu to use Iron Tail to destroy it before it could reach May. When Pikachu destroyed it, however, the attack still sprayed water and completely wet May. Ash offered to give his sweater to her, but she refused to take it because she was angry about losing the Milotic. When they finally reached the Pokémon Centre, May had a stuffy nose and was constantly sneezing. Norman and Caroline scolded her when they talked to her that night over the phone. "If only she took my sweater that day," Ash thought. "And for some reason she was mad at me. I was only trying to help...I guess it also didn't help that Norman sided with me."

May knew her parents would be furious if she arrived home sick, so she finally took the sweater. She put it on and instantly felt warm. "No wonder he's always wearing his sweater," She thought. "It's really comfortable."

"Let's start heading back to room," Ash said.

Eevee and Pikachu were walking ahead their two trainers as if scouting and guarding them from any potential threats. Ash and May followed them closely behind. They finally exited the park when May spoke up.

"So why couldn't you sleep?" She asked worryingly.

"I just couldn't," Ash replied. "I guess I was just thinking about all the stuff I have to do after I get back home..."

"Like what?"

"Nothing too important," Ash shook off.

"Oh, okay..." May then stared at the ground. She knew she found an opening. "Does it have to do with this 'Sinnoh' place you were talking about?"

Ash stared at her surprisingly. "So you heard that back there?"

"Yeah,"

"What else did hear back there?" Ash asked somewhat nervously.

May eyed him curiously. She was quiet for a moment before she responded. "Just something about you understanding something, and the part about that place..."

Ash sighed in relief.

"So are you going to tell about this 'Sinnoh' or are you going to keep it a secret from me?" She said.

"You know I don't keep secrets from you, May" Ash stated knowingly.

"I—when did you tell me that you don't?"

"Dammit, wrong May!" He thought loudly. "I mean I thought you knew that I didn't."

"I guess I kind of believed that you didn't..." She said lowly.

"Good comeback, Ash...really smooth."

"So?" May was getting impatient.

"Alright, if you want to know, then I'll tell you," Ash shrugged. "That is the next region Pikachu and I are going to travel to."

"I've never heard of the Sinnoh Region," May thought out loud.

"It's the most northern region," Ash added. "It's pretty cold, but it should be fun."

"Oh," May said. She then turned away from the trainer before she spoke up again. "D-do you know if it has...has Pokémon Contests to enter?" She stuttered and looked back at Ash quickly. "I-I just want to know...you know for my, um, own knowledge..."

Ash looked at her. "Yeah, it does hold contests."

May smiled a little. "Great! Thanks for telling me, Ash!"

"No problem, May," Ash stated. There was a silence before he spoke up again. "You know you didn't have to come look for us, right? We would have found our way back to the hotel safely."

"Pika!" Pikachu yelled back to them as he continued walking ahead.

Ash sighed. "I mean Pikachu would've found our way back to the hotel safely. Does that make you happy, buddy?" Pikachu gave him a thumbs up as the mouse continued walking. "I don't understand why he always has to be right these days..."

May giggled at the little altercation. "I know, but I just wanted to make sure for myself, you know?" She turned away from again as she felt her face heat up. "I-I just had to come look..."

Ash put his arm around her shoulder and gave her a quick hug which caused the brunette to blush more. "I understand, May," He said. "But I promise you that I will always be all right, okay?"

She nodded slowly still trying to hide her blush.

"However," Ash added. "If you ever need help, I will always be there to make sure you are all right."

"Really?"

"Of course. I'm always there for my friends!"

May smiled and gave him a hug.