Ch 15 Pallet Town

It took them another two minutes to reach the hotel. May had recalled Eevee as they all headed up to their room. May's eyes were closing as the trio reached the door; she was really tired. When they entered the room, May said goodnight to Ash and Pikachu and got comfortable in her bed before quickly falling asleep. Ash gave her an amused smile before changing back into his sleepwear. He and Pikachu got comfortable on the bed. Pikachu curled up in a ball and fell asleep. Ash closed his eyes and thought to himself.

"I never thought I would be getting the Sinnoh badges again," He sighed and smiled to himself. "So many memories..." He opened his eyes forcefully when a thought came to him. "Crap, I forgot to ask Celebi if we were able to change that important event in the beginning," He sighed. "I guess I'm just going to assume that we didn't because we haven't really had any progress," Ash closed his eyes again. "I'll just think about tomorrow. Besides, all the fun starts these next few days..."

It seemed like the next morning came quickly for Ash and May after the long night. They had slept in a little late, but Max and Brock did not question the unusual occurrence. However, Max was curious about something when May had gotten out of bed.

"Um, May?" The little boy asked questioningly.

"What is it?"

"Why are you wearing Ash's sweater?"

May looked at herself and realized Max was right—she was still wearing the warm sweater. Her cheeks flushed. "I uh...h-he gave it to me last night when we went for walk."

"Why were you guys walking out late at night?" Max crossed his arms and his sister a curious look.

May was trying to think of something to say that would not cause suspicion about Ash. She then realized that she was the older sister and gave Max a serious look. "What I do or not do should not concern you! Maybe I should just tell dad that you were acting badly these past few days..." She gave him sly look.

Max was shocked. "B-but that would be lying! I haven't done anything bad, and you know dad would be angry with me!"

"Well, are you going to drop it?"

Max grumbled before he answered. "Yeah, I'll let it go..."

May smiled brightly. "Great! Now, I'm going to get ready, so we could head home!" With that she took off Ash's sweater and put it on his bed. Then she headed to restroom to prepare for the day.

The group had eaten breakfast before heading towards the port. They stopped by the Poké Mart to buy some last-minute supplies just in case something happened on the way. They had been walking for ten minutes through a small clearing in the forest when Max asked Ash what the trainer was going to do after they separated. The younger sibling mainly asked where was the next region that Ash was going to travel to. Ash thought about his answer for a moment. The trainer quickly glanced at Pikachu on his shoulder to see what the mouse thought. When Pikachu shrugged, Ash knew he was on his own for this one. "I'm going to do some special training on my own for a while," Ash said honestly. "I also want to relax before I head out to another region. Overall, I don't think I'll be traveling for about four months, maybe. I'll still be pretty busy, though," He finished.

"Oh, alright," Max said staring at the trainer. "So where are you going to go?"

"I'm going to the Sinnoh Region."

"Hmm...I think I've heard about that place," Brock interjected. "If I'm correct, then I heard it's pretty cold."

"I've heard that, too," Ash agreed.

The rest of the journey to the port was pretty quiet. The group exited the forest and reached it before noon. May and Max bought their tickets for the Hoenn Region—specifically a boat ride that took them straight to Petalburg City. They found the large ship which was already boarding passengers. May and Max looked at each other before turning back to their other two companions. Max spoke up.

"Well, this is it..." He said sorrowfully. "I had a lot of fun..."

Ash walked up to him and put an arm on his shoulder. "Don't worry, Max," He said. "We'll see each other someday. In fact, when you start your journey, I would be happy to travel with you."

"Really?!"

"Yeah, for sure, Max."

"And I'll be glad to tag along, too," Brock added.

Max smiled brightly.

May said goodbye to Brock and gave the breeder a hug.

"Tell Nurse Joy that I'll come visit her one day."

May laughed nervously. "If I remember, I'll be glad to give her the message." Brock thanked her and left to help Max get onto the ship. May turned and saw Ash with Pikachu on his shoulder standing in front of her. May gave him a quick hug before stepping back. "I want to say thanks, Ash."

"For what?"

"You've done so much for me and Max that I don't really know what to say..." She stated thoughtfully. She put her hands behind her back, so he would not see her fidgeting.

Ash grinned. "There's no need to thank me, May," He said. "I had fun, too." There was small silence for a brief moment before the ship's horn sounded. "Well, that is your call. If you're ever feeling down or blue, you have that ribbon that we split to look at...it should remind you that I will always believe in you and that you will always have a friend cheering you on."

May smiled and gave him another hug. She spoke into his chest. "Will we see each other someday, Ash?"

"Yeah," He stated knowingly. "Remember, I told Max that I would travel with him. I would think you would join us, too, right?"

May gave Ash a playful, serious look. "Of course," She tried to say seriously. "I can't let my little brother travel by himself without my company!"

They both laughed.

"Come on, May!" Max yelled.

"Alright, May," Ash finished. "The ship is about to leave."

May nodded slowly and turned to get on the ship with Max. The two Hoenn natives boarded the ship and quickly made their way to the railing to wave goodbye to Brock and Ash. The horn sounded once more before starting to Petalburg. May and Max waved at their companions as they waved back to them. The distance was getting larger that it was getting difficult to see Ash and Brock on the land. Another minute passed by before the siblings finally spoke up.

"We will see them again one day, right?"

"Yes, we will, Max..." May stared at her brother. "I know we will..."

Ash and Brock waved until the ship was out of their view. They both gathered their things and began the journey back to Pallet Town. They walked for a couple hours when they reached a fork that split the road. Ash was familiar with the scene and decided to let Brock started it off.

"Well," Brock started. "You're going left to head for Pallet Town, and I have to head right for Pewter City. This is where we part ways."

Ash nodded. "I understand, Brock," The raven-haired trainer said. "Hopefully, we'll see each other on the next journey, right?"

"For sure!" Brock said eagerly. "A whole new region to explore with new adventures—count me in! Not to mention all the beautiful girls we will meet on the way!"

Ash laughed.

"I'll find you, Ash."

"I know you will, Brock," The long-time friends shook hands and went their separate ways. Ash turned and waved back to Brock one more time before heading home. It took the two time-travelers an hour to reach the hill that overlooked Pallet Town. Ash stared and saw his mom's home not too far away. "Well, Pikachu," He told his Pokémon. "Why don't we rest up before beginning the real journey."

"Pikachu!" The mouse agreed.

The duo walked down the hill and to the small house. Ash opened the door and called for his mom. He smiled when saw her walk down the stairs with the same smile she always had. "Hi, honey! I didn't get your call about coming home—this is a surprise!"

Ash and Pikachu smiled. They were home.