Ch 38 Dreams

Receiving lessons from her mother, Serena gently kicks Rhyhorn in its side, attempting to get Rhyhorn to move. "Come on Rhyhorn, it's just me on your back" she would soon regret her words.

The ground type began flailing around violently. All Serena could do was hold on for dear life.

"Woah, Rhyhorn calm down" she attempted to calm the out of control Pokémon.

Although her daughter was struggling, Grace saw this as an opportunity for Serena to learn. "Remember dear, keep your mouth closed" she gave some tips. "You could bite your tongue or bugs can fly into your mouth" she explained.

"It's easy for say that while watching" she yelled back. Slowly but sure however, she was beginning to get the hang of Rhyhorn riding.

Grace took notice of Serena's progress. If this kept up, she would be champion Rhyhorn racer in no time. "That's it Serena, NOW BECOME ONE WITH RHYHORN" she shouted out in passion, raising her right fist in the air.

What Grace failed to realize was how her daughter lost control. Her hands slipped from the rope while the ground type launched Serena from its back. "MOM, I HATE THIS" Serena's voice filled the area.

Walking over towards the source of the yell, a brown skinned girl watches a blonde laying on the ground. "Geez Serena, isn't it time to be up already" she playfully taunted her friend.

"Now isn't a great time Shauna" Serena responded, still with her face to the ground causing Serena to remember something that happened in her childhood.

Flashback

Lost and alone in Viridian Forest, Serena walks fearfully trying to find her way back to Professor Oak's lab. In a tearful voice, "Hello, is anybody here?" cried Serena. Scared out of her mind, she wanders further into the forest. "I didn't even want to come to this camp. I'm only hear because my mom made me" admitted Serena to no one in particular. Being even more lost than before, Serena begins sobbing uncontrollably. "MAMA" screams out Serena. She sees the bushes rustle which frightens her even more. Panicking, she tries to run away. Unfortunately, she trips over a tree root causing her to injure her leg. With the bushes still rustling, she closes her eyes and turns away tearfully awaiting her demise.

"Poli Poliwag" exclaimed a Pokémon from the bushes. It jumped in front of Serena before in ran off into the woods. Serena was too busy fearing for her safety to even notice the Poliwag.

"Hey Poliwag, come on out" called out Ash. He came out of the same bush that Poliwag was in moments ago. Ash was surprised to find a girl crying right next to a tree since he expected to find the Pokémon. Being his normal self, he introduced himself. "Hello, my name is Ash, what's the matter" said the boy trying to comfort the crying girl.

Still crying, Serena looks down to her knee. "I hurt my knee" Serena said tearfully. Her knee was bruised which prevented her from walking.

Instantly, Ash has a solution. He pulls out a handkerchief, "You see this, it's a good luck charm." Ash held up a handkerchief with a blue strip lining the bottom and a Pokéball design the on bottom corner. He uses it as a bandage by wrapping the cloth around Serena's injured knee. "All better" said Ash as he stood up finishing wrapping Serena's leg.

Serena attempts to stand. "I can't get up" she said with tears still running down her cheeks. The bandage did not do much to help.

Ash smiles at her effort to stand. Obviously he wasn't about leave her alone. "Never give up until the very end" said Ash trying to inspire Serena as he extends his hand. Slowly, Serena begins to reach for his hand. Ash notices the hesitation in her and reaches for her hand. He surprises Serena with his boldness by grabbing her hand and gently pulling her up.

Unprepared, she lands right in his arms. She couldn't believe it, she was finally up. Her leg didn't seem to bother her. Suddenly she remembers where exactly she was at. With a confused expression, Serena takes a slight step back and looks up to Ash.

"Hey you stood up" said Ash giving her a cheeky grin.

Serena was at a loss for words and her reaction said it all. She simply stood with her mouth slightly ajar still holding on to Ash's hand. Even though the bandage did very little, his kindness and words of comfort certainly helped her through this whole ordeal. A light blush appeared on her face. She grew a bit curious about this boy. Before today, she never knew the name Ash Ketchum but now, his face will be one she won't soon forget.

End of Flashback.