Becoming a Handler

~Keith's POV~

I sigh, grabbing my phone off of the coffee table when I heard my ring tone.

"Hello?"

"Hey baby, come outside, I have a surprise for you." Says Lance's voice from the other end of the line. I get up and walk to the door, rubbing my stomach gently. I open the door to see Lance standing next to a tall man with broad shoulders and long hair pulled into a braid over his shoulder. Next to the man stood a dog that was wearing a bright red vest that said 'Service Dog'. Lance turned off his phone and put it in his pocket.

"Keith, this is Kolivan, he works with the Barks of Marmora, they train service dogs for anxiety and stress disorders." He explains, smiling softly. (A/N Okay, so, I know it sounds silly but Barks of Marmora was the first thing that popped into my head.)

"N-nice to meet you... come in." I whisper, stepping out of the way. The man, Kolivan, entered, the dog staying at his side the whole time. Lance followed, smiling happily.

"L-Lance, wh-why is he here?"

"Well, I was thinking, since the ordeal with Lotor, you've had such bad anxiety just being home alone. So, I talked to your psychiatrist and they said to talk to Kolivan about getting you a service dog. So, I called Kolivan and here we are!" Lance says, smiling. I chuckle softly at my Alpha's supportive behavior, smiling.

"Thank you." I whisper, walking over to where Kolivan and the dog were.

"Please sit d-down sir." I whisper, looking at Kolivan. He nods and sits down on the couch, the dog moving to lay down behind his legs.

"Can I get you anything to eat or drink?" I ask softly.

"No thank you." He says, reaching into the sidebag on the dog's vest to grab a container of treats, dumping a few into his large palm. I sit down and watch as the dog moved out from under Kolivan's legs, sitting in front of him.

"Mr. McClain."

"Please c-call me Keith..." I whisper. Kolivan nods.

"Keith, this is Kosmo, he is trained to handle PTSD episodes, anixety attacks, and depressive episodes. He is already fully trained and he is two years old. He is a Husky, Wolf, and German Shepherd mix. We will be working to train him to become more attuned to you over the next few months."

"O-okay." I whisper, biting my lip.

"B-but d-don't I have to register him?"

"No, he already has his credentials."

"Okay." I whisper, looking at Lance. Lance gives me a thumbs-up, smiling widely.

"And Kosmo will be left here after today so that he can bond with you." Kolivan adds.

"O-okay." I whisper.

(Okay, I know this is probably not how it actually goes. I have my own service dog, but I am actually training her myself. So, since I don't know how this'll go, I'm going to timeskip to a couple months later, when the training is done!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up to Kosmo nudging my face and licking my neck. I sit up, grunting as I rubbed my large stomach, checking the time. I groan and stand, getting dressed and grabbing Kosmo's gear. I sit on the couch and put his vest on, grabbing his leash as well. Kosmo grabbed my shoes and placed them at my feet, allowing my to slip into them easily. I pet his head, smiling softly before stepping outside, seeing Shiro waiting by his car, his arm around a slightly smaller male Omega.

"Hi Shiro." I say softly, stopping a few feet away from my brother.

"Hey Keith, this is Adam, my Omega." Shiro says, gesturing at the smaller male. I offer my free hand.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Shiro's little brother, Keith."

"Nice to meet you as well Keith." He says, smiling before adjusting his glasses.

"So, where to today Keith?" Shiro asks.

"I need to go to the store and get some things for dinner tonight." I whisper, rubbing my stomach. Shiro nods and opens the car door for me, letting me and Kosmo in before shutting it.

Once we got to the store, Shiro dropped me off before leaving. I walked in and grabbed a cart, wrapping Kosmo's lead around my wrist before starting my shopping. I walked through the aisles, mumbling to myself as I looked through the items. I grab a couple of items and turn to the nutrition facts for comparision. I hum and put one in the cart, shelving the other one. This process continued for a few more aisles before I ran into a mother with a couple small children, one of which was crying rather loudly. I frowned softly, walking up to them and smiling. I crouch down carefully in front of the child, smiling up at the mother.

"May I?" I ask softly. She nods, looking near tears. I smile softly and motion for Kosmo to walk closer, having him sit down.

"Hey, lookie here, look, it's a puppy! Wanna pet the puppy?" I ask softly. The child nods, reaching for Kosmo. He glances at me before letting the kid pet him. The wailing and screaming and ceased and the mother looked relieved. I struggled to stand up before waving goodbye to the family.

"Bye bye." I say softly, smiling. The kid waved.

"Bye puppy!"

(fun fact: service dog handlers can let people pet their animals, it just depends on the handler on who pets them. For me, it's Upset children and people in uniform. Just wanted to let you guys know that!)

When I finished, I found Lance waiting in the parking lot for me. He rushed to me, helping me into the car before putting the groceries in the car and driving us home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, here you guys go! I hope you guys like the chapter! I'm sorry it's so late I had a case of writers block until my new friend FangirlLifeAmIRite helped me think of this little idea. So, yeah, thank you FangirlLifeAmIRite! Anyways, I hope you guys liked this chapter. Hopefully I'll update again soon.

Luv Y'all,
Erin Jaeger