Chapter 28 : Fairytales

Chapter 28

(Mercy's POV)

He never did get better.

Every once in a while, flashes of his old self would appear but he was slowly disappearing for good. Blood raided his mind every day, forcing him to do things that the old Dace would never do. What hurts the most, is that even when he is having a unstable moment. He knows who I am. He taunts me with past memories because even though he knows them, the emotions are left out. Dace comes back every few years, avenging his misfortune. And each time, I am the one who has to fight him. Watching those eyes that use to shine with love, now shimmer with thirst and hate.

Even my vampire fears him.

When I have to fight him, my wolf and I crack our hearts with every wound inflicted on him. Looking past the red eyes, sharp fangs and chaotic expression. He was still our mate. If I accidentally kill him, I would probably commit suicide.

My love was that strong.

Dace pounced at me, with the intent to kill and as usual, I blocked it. Which engaged us into what looked like a spar. Except, I was blocking while he was trying to rip my head off. I clenched my teeth as his powerful punch, rammed into my stomach. Knocking the wind out of me. But before He could retaliate, I shifted. One advantage that I will always have over him. His vampire was so strong that it destroyed Dace's wolf. And the grief and anger is what pushed him on the edge of insanity.

Lunging at him, I knocked us to the ground and wrapped my jaws around his neck. Not adding any pressure but enough to get the point across. He laughed before pushing me off and taking a couple steps back.

"You won this time but I will seek my revenge!"

With a hiss, he was gone.

Taking his vampires and my happiness with him. And before I could wallow in sadness, a hand landed on my shoulder. A grim smirk crawled onto my face as I turned around. John's face was sympathetic as he yanked me into his arms and rubbed my back softly. Letting my head rest in the crook of his neck, I closed my eyes and let him sooth me.

John had lost his mate and daughter in a rouge battle. Nearly making him turn insane so when he joined our war, he was looking for death. But when I appointed him beta, he realized that he was responsible for a pack. And dying would not only hurt him but us. Ever since then, we have had a special connection. Luna had given me him as my second mate after Dace's wolf died, but John agreed to let me move on at my own pace. Having to see Dace reappear every few years, takes a toll on me and John understands that.

Reopening my eyes, a figure stood in the distance. I had to squint to make out the features and when I did, a gasp escaped my mouth.

There stood Dace, with a heart broken expression that made my wolf feel a dull pain. But what really surprised me, was that the Dace I saw wasn't human.

Nor vampire,

but werewolf...

vote, comment and follow