The truth

The ambulance ride was a blur. The arrive to the hospital as well. When I woke up, the doctor informed me that we went into surgery for our broken arms and since the glass wedge deeper into my chest than Greta's I had to go to the ER. Immediate surgery. I had pieces of glass stuck in my lungs due to the wedge and went into surgery for five hours. Throughout the entire surgery, my mind ran on his name. Valentino. It repeated over and over in my mind. When the surgery finished, it was night and they told me to rest but I couldn't. Valentino was still in my mind. His eyes. His face. His stupid smile.

     That following day, Mrs. Reda was informed of the incident and was not happy. She grounded us for a month and handed up an enormous amount of chores once we were fully healed. Mrs. Reda had gotten a call from the Juvenile Delinquency Center asking if she was willing to send us back, thankfully she didn't and said it was a simple mistake. She covered for us. Said we missed the first two steps of her stairs and stumbled all the way down. I was shocked that she covered for us but I knew she couldn't send us away. We had caused no trouble to her since we first arrived and had been nothing but nice.

     The doctor had entered the room when Mrs. Reda was ready to leave. He informed us that I could be getting a cast for my arm, needing it to heal for the next six weeks. I had a broken shoulder, which would take two weeks to recover and with the medication for my heart surgery it would take three more months of recovery. Mrs. Reda did the calculations and said by Halloween, I would be better. I had to be very careful with my stitches as one wrong movement and I would break them.

     Mrs. Reda spoke to me in a strict voice as she informed me about my injuries and my punishments. She told me to figure out my problem with Greta as we would be handed the same chores to talk it out. There was nothing to fix. It was a disaster. I found the beauty in destroying Greta and she did with me.

     "Knock knock!" A voice ran out as it pulled me from my thoughts of Valentino. "Your amazing big bro is here!" Julian swung the hospital door open as my family piled in. "And I bring gifts!"

     Katrina shook her head and held up a bag of McDonald's. "And food."

     I squealed like a little girl and reached out for the bag. "Give me!" My sister chuckled as she made her way towards me. "They're poisoning me here. And to think the food was supposed to help me?" The smell of McDonald's filled me nose.

    My mom widened her dark blue eyes. She pushed Katrina to the side and swiftly made her way towards her. Her arms crushed me into a hug as I huffed in pain. "Mom, you're hurting me." I managed out as she pulled away. A scowl on her lips.

     "You are such an idiot! I was worried sick." She slapped me on the back of my head. "How dare you do that to me!"

     "Mom!" I wined. I rubbed the back of my head.

     "But, I'm happy you're okay." Mom's smile grew as she planted a kiss on my cheek.

     Julian chuckled. "Wow, mom. You're really bipolar." That earned his a slap across the head. "Ah! Rings!" He hissed and rubbed his head.

     My dad was next to give me a warm hug. "You're lucky the only thing you broke was your arm and not that stubborn head of yours." He then handed me a bouquet of flowers, my favourite, Orchids. His dark brown eyes lit up with happiness as he saw the smile on my face.

     "Thanks you." I smiled at both my parents as they took a seat in the two chairs beside my bed. My dad ran a hand through his dark brown hair then placed it around my mom. "But you guys do know that I broke my shoulder too, right? And that I had glass in my chest."

     My parents nodded their heads as my brother took the orchids and placed them on the little bed side table. Katrina sat next to me. "Don't worry. The doctors told us everything." Katrina smirked as she shoved a fry into her mouth.