Fire

Before I was able to register the situation, Tyson took off in a sprint towards the house. My eyes widen as I pushed the car door open. "Tyson!" I called after him. "Don't you dare go into that house!" I managed to catch his wrist right as his foot hit the first step of the stairs.

     "I have to get my things!" Tyson said in a worried voice. "Everything valuable is in there!"

     "Like what?" I scoffed. I tried to pull him away. "What could be so valuable?"

     "My guns, my paper works—everything! If the cops come—and they will." He shot me a look. "They will arrest me. I'm the biggest drug lord here and the second they realize it's me, I'll be handcuffed."

     "You're telling me that you're willing to possibly get yourself killed for some stupid paper works and guns?" He nodded his head. "Are you serious!" I couldn't handle him. He was being ridiculous and I had to stop him.

     "I'd rather die and protect my gang than being here with you!" Tyson yelled in my face as he ripped his wrist away and marched up the stairs.

     "No, Tyson! Stop, please." I begged. He ignored me. Kept on running. "I need you!" I shouted. He stopped. "I still love you. Please." His eyes wide as he faced me. But he shook it off as a glare took over.

     "Doesn't matter—I don't. Especially after what happened that night and today." Without another word, he ran into the burning house. I remained at the front steps with tears in my eyes. Every time he loves me all the anger within me tells me to say no and that I am only protecting him. But then when I do it he gets mad as well and uses some other excuse. It was frustrating and exhausting. Our story was worth telling. Especially with many drastic scenes.

     A loud crash came from inside the home. My heart sunk as I thought something back could have happened to Tyson. As if on instinct, I pulled out my phone and dialled 9-1-1 telling them about the fire and that a man was in the building. They said that they would be there any minute but that was too long. I needed someone to get Tyson out then and the fire only kept growing. Blowing out a puff of air, I ran into the house. If anyone was going to save Tyson, it had to be me. The second I stepped inside the home, everything was a thick black fog and the only light was the fire creeping up behind me.

     Running towards the staircase, I made my way into Tyson's room and found him with a duffel bag in hand. He was shoving his guns into it as a cough left my lips.

     Coughing, I caught his shocked expression. My eyes rolled. "Stop staring and tell me what to do." I continued to cough as he nodded his head and pointed towards the couches. At least three empty duffel bags were there. Two more bags sat besides the couch.

     "This is the last one with guns, go to the table, take all the paper there is and shove them into the bags." I nodded my head at his demanded and grabbed the three bags. Running to the table, I threw everything into the first Nike duffel bag. I didn't care what needed to be neatly put, I just wanted him to get out of there. After minutes of panicking and coughing, Tyson and I were done with everything but we both knew we were toast.

     "Let's go." He barked as he grabbed the three bags filled with guns and I took the ones with the papers. We knew this was going to be the hard part. The fire could be anywhere and we needed to get out as soon as possible. Running out of the room and towards the large stairs, we saw that the fire had already spread towards the living room and was making its way up to the second floor. Panicking, my grip on the fabric handles tightened as we had to get out of there and fast.

     Looking around, my eyes landed on my room. My door was wide open with a view of the city. "Tyson, my room!" He nodded his head as we both ran to my room. Quickly putting the bags on the floor, I looked around my room for something long to break the window with. Going up to my television set, I pulled it from the stand. Tyson was quick to my aid as he helped me hold it up before throwing it at the window. The crackling sound rang through the room as we watched the television drop.

     "Melody!" Tyson yelled as he looked at me with big eyes.

     "Go!" I yelled. Tyson threw the duffel bags out the window as the faint sounds of sirens rang through the street. I followed his lead and threw my bags out too but when it came to actually jumping out of the window, I hesitated. The fire didn't help as I was barley able to hear the sound of my own heart beat. It felt like it was beating a thousand miles an hour.

     "Mel, we need to jump." I just shook my head. Words weren't able to form. "No. Don't give me that. We're going to be alright." Tyson placed his arms around me and pulled me into a hug allowing me to relax a bit.

     "You go first." I insisted but he shook his head and grabbed my hand.

     "I jump, you jump." He looked at me with determination and I knew I couldn't argue. Nodding my head again, we took a couple of steps back. "Ready?" I nodded once more, he pulled me towards the window. We both jumped out before the fire could hit us.We managed to land on top of each other with my face glued to his chest as his arms were wrapped around me. He laid on his side but quickly moved to his back so he was able to breathe. "See. That wasn't so hard."

     "No but the ground is." I coughed out my stupid remark as Tyson found it amusing and chuckled. I joined in as our coughs and chuckled filled the air. I haven't heard him laugh in such a long time. My heart strings began to pull as I savoured this moment. I knew that it would most probably be one of my last moments with him.
***

     The police, firemen and ambulance drivers all came to scene. Tyson and I had enough time to throw his stuff into his car before they all got there. They threw us into the back of the ambulance to make sure we were alright. We told them that we were stuck in a room on the second floor and had to jump out. They checked us and said that we were both alright, which meant I was able to leave.

     The thought of hugging Tyson goodbye came to mind but once I saw that Brian came to the scene, I backed away. He embraced Tyson into a firm and tight hug. I didn't want to disturb. I stayed in the back of the ambulance and stared at Tyson Garcia. That was the last time I ever saw him. After that night, it would be bye-bye Tyson and hello Florida University. We both knew that university was on its way and saying goodbye was not going to be easy. I just didn't realize that it would be so soon.

     I was going to miss him. I was going to miss his beautiful smile, his bright blue eyes, his perfectly cut hair, his plump rosy lips, those dang tattooed arms. I was going to being loved by Tyson Garcia. I wasn't ready for it. I didn't think I would ever be able to say goodbye to him.

     A part of me still held onto him but I knew that no matter what I was Melody Roma. The girl who became tough and strong. The girl who grew. The girl who fought against Valentino and Jackson. The girl who fell in love with a boy who single handily changed her for the better. Tyson Garcia saved me. After everything that had happened, I became stronger. I became the girl I've always wanted to be. I became a woman.

     Sighing, I snuck towards my car and opened the door. Roaring the engine to life, I didn't wait for Tyson to look my way. I backed out of the drive-way and down the road. Only then did I look back in the rear-view mirror. It showed a dusty, confused and sad Tyson who stood in the middle of the street with his hands on his head. I already knew tears were rolling down his cheeks and his heart would be breaking all over again.

     "Good-bye Tyson Garcia. I will always love you." Tears came down my cheeks. I turned the corner and sped onto the high way. Back home. Where I had to catch a fight to Florida.