One

Isobel P.O.V.

"Look Soph, everything is going to be fine okay?" I said, sounding as encouraging as I could over the phone, whilst brushing my way through the busy streets of New York. Cars were honking, people were shouting, dogs were barking and the sounds of hundreds of footsteps pounded against the pavement. "I promise I will be there tomorrow afternoon, and you'll have me for the entire two weeks!"

"You better be! I need you Isobel! I know we've been on FaceTime and you've come to visit a few times, but god the wedding is so soon, I'm kinda freaking out."

"I know, just take a deep breath okay? I'll see you soon." I crossed the road, shooting a quick wave at Joe the security guard before stepping through the revolving doors of the skyscraper before me.

"Alright I'm trying." I heard her huff out a large breath of air. "I know how busy you are, so thankyou again for being my maid of honour."

"You're my best friend, of course." I said, as I scanned my badge and made my way to the elevators. "I gotta go now, Soph. Keep it together for me okay?"

"Okay love you Is! I'll pick you up when you land."

"Sounds good, love you too." I hung up as I stepped into the elevator, pressing level 20.

I straightened out my skirt and made my way into the bustling office of Red magazine.

"Good morning Miss Hernandez," the sweet, young receptionist girl called with a bright smile. I think her name was Lucina? She just started here last week.

"Oh no need for that," I chuckled. "You can call me Isobel."

"Will do, Mi- uh Isobel." She corrected, flashing me a sheepish grin.

I shot her a wink of approval before making my way around the cubicles to my own little office room. Yes, that's right. My own office. It was tiny, fitting only my desk, a bookshelf and two extra chairs, but nevertheless it was an amazing upgrade. Especially in New York, where having space was a luxury.

I've worked here for three years, fresh out of college. Prior to that, I interned two summers in a row, before getting a position as an assistant. Two years later on the job, I was finally promoted as a writer. I've put literal blood, sweat and tears into this. I really loved my work, which I know is incredibly rare nowadays.

I sat down in my chair, resting the handbag on the floor before relaxing against the backrest with a big sigh. Time really flies, I can't believe my best friend is getting married in two weeks, I'm going to hit a quarter of a century years' old early next year, and I'm finally a writer at one of my favorite magazines.

"Darling! You look fabulous as always today," Drew came bouncing in with two coffees in hand.

"Thank you, as do you of course!" I gestured to his flamboyant outfit.

"Why thank you, gotta stay on top of the game y'know, or these savages will come for my spot," he said with a dramatic flair.

Drew was head of the fashion department of Red, and also one of my best friends here.

"Of course. No one could top you though. Is that for me?" I nodded to the coffee with a sly grin.

He smirked and handed it over, before planting himself on the corner of my desk.

"Thanks, and tell Nadine thank you aswell." I chuckled. I doubted he was lining up for a coffee this morning, fighting all the other caffeine-deprived citizens of NYC.

"Gotta make use of those assistant privileges." Drew shrugged with a grin.

I laughed at his confession. "Busy day today?"