Six

Kade P.O.V.

Isobel Hernandez.

That's a name I haven't uttered in years.

I wondered why. Well actually, I know why.

She was different, yet the same. Still as beautiful back then as a teen, and now as a woman. Her facial features were more chiselled, seemingly having lost some of the baby fat, but gained perfectly in her hips and chest. Don't come for me. How the fuck could I not have looked at her figure? It would have been a sin not to appreciate the work of art before me.

Her wild hair still looked as luscious as ever, and her skin was glowing and smooth, just like I remembered. I melted in her beautiful smokey brown eyes... her full, pink lips... that mouth and the things that came out of it, were to die for. She was fierce, smart, accomplished.

I couldn't help but tease her every time we were together. I loved her every reaction, her quick wit, her charming retorts and her ability to smack me down right in place. It was an addictive back and forth game we played.

It's been so long since I felt that spark in me.

Okay, so yes. I'm not a liar. I can come clean and say I've dated...a lot of girls in the past... but somehow, none of them could ever measure up to the feeling I got when we verbally sparred. I liked it.

Oliver and Sophie never hung out with us both together at the same time after high school, during the very fleeting moments we were gathered here in between college studies. They knew Isobel was upset with me, back then. But, we saw each other once, about three years ago, around the time that Oliver and Sophie graduated from Brown University together and threw a big celebration. I had just arrived halfway through the party, just as she was leaving. She gave me a small fleeting smile across the room as she left in a whirl. A hello or goodbye? I could never figure it out, so I tucked it away deep in my mind. It was so fast it almost didn't seem real. Like she was a ghost.

As I was constantly travelling, I only came back to Newport during special occasions to spend time with the family. We had never run into each other, and I wondered if she ever came back home as well. It was obvious that she did sometimes, considering she was well-adjusted to staying in Oliver and Sophie's house.

It's crazy even after almost six years of no contact, our interactions hadn't changed much. All the memories burst into my mind vividly, making it feel like no time had passed at all between us.

"Hey, ready to go get our suits fitted?" Oliver called through the door. I shut down my laptop before making my way out.

"Yeah Ollie," I said following him down into his car. "Are Tobias and Jacob coming?" I asked out of curiosity, speaking of our old highschool friends.

"Jacob couldn't make it, but promised he would have his done up by the day. And Remi from the dealership, if you remember him, will be there too," he said, sliding into the driver's seat. After finishing his business and entrepreneurship studies, Oliver was working at a luxury sales boat yard, whilst Sophie opened up a little home decor and ornaments gift store.

"Oh yeah, that's cool. I forgot you added another groomsman." I nodded nonchalantly, settling into the passengers side.

"Yeah, Sophie wanted to have her college buddy as a bridesmaid as well, alongside her sister, Jenny and Isobel," he said looking into the rearview mirror as he reversed out of the driveway and began heading down the road. "Speaking of which, what's up with Is?" he chuckled. "It's like 2012/13 all over again."

"Can't help it dude," I chuckled, "It just comes out of my mouth before I can stop it, then before you know it we're playing hot potato with insults."