Sunshine [nagisa x slightly-depressed!reader]

It was raining again.

So you shut yourself in Iwatobi High School's music room and played the piano.

You were a typical student at Iwatobi High. Not extremely popular but you still had a fairly large circle of friends and acquaintances, well mostly acquaintances.

After your father's tragic death, you found solace in your boyfriend, only to find out that he cheated on you because you simply weren't ready to give up your virginity to him.

Nobody really knew the real story. Just that you and [boyfriend's name] broke up and you became some kind of a recluse.

Not that you didn't keep to yourself before you broke up. It was just that you had someone with more friends dragging you to parties or to socialising events when you were still dating.

After your father passed on, as the eldest child, you had to help support your family. With two younger siblings and a grandmother with ailing health to take care of, you helped the burden of earning money that your mother sagged under by working at a small cafe on weekends.

Managing your studies, club activities and work while combating the grief that you carried wasn't easy. Sometimes you just wanted to break down and crumble. Like dust, float away and disappear.

You knew you were depressed, even though it wasn't severe. You tried different methods to keep it under check, to keep yourself afloat, to keep your head above the surface of the water that was raging around you. The waves that threatened to drag you under if you faltered for just a moment.

Yes, it was tiring. But you found solace in music.

And that's why you were in the music room.

Playing the piano.

You knew many pieces, in fact, you were a Grade 8 student.

But you always, always, only played one -- Chopin's Nocturne in G minor.

You would just allow your sorrow and pain wash out in your playing. It was like a haven, playing the piano, and you knew that the melody that filled the room was absolutely heartbreaking.

"Click." You didn't realise that the door of the music room was pushed open by a certain blond shota.

Ending the piece, you let the final note drag a little longer before you shut the book, wiping away the tears that had started to run down your cheeks.

Then you noticed him. Standing in the doorway. Eyes brimming with tears.

Dumbfounded, your lips parted and all that could come out was, "How long have you been standing there?"

Quickly composing himself, Nagisa tried to explain, blurting out his words at breakneck speed, "Sumimasen, [last-name]-san! I just heard the music and came here and I didn't mean to but it sounded nice..."

"Whatever," you cut him off, "Just don't tell anyone. And turn off the light when you leave." Pushing past him, your shoulder lightly grazed his as you headed towards the door.

Just as you were about to walk out, a surprisingly strong hand pulled your wrist back, forcing you to face Nagisa.

"Um..."

"[last-name]-san, are you okay? Your playing was so sad! You shouldn't be so unhappy and you always don't smile..."

Cutting him off again, you responded, "I'm fine. Just mind your own business."

You were about to pull your hand out of Nagisa's grasp when he said, "If it's about [boyfriend-name] you should cheer up. He was an idiot anyway! You're such a nice person and you are really talented and smart. He shouldn't have cheated on you!"

Shocked at his proclamation, you didn't know how to respond, "I...I" before you broke down into a fresh set of tears. You felt like you were being sucked into the dark abysses of your depression. The sorrow, the guilt, the struggles flashed through your mind. There was just so much pain and it was all rushing at you at once, like a wave.

"Gomen nasai [last-name]-san! I didn't mean to make you cry! Please don't be sad..." Nagisa rambled on in panic, not knowing what to do as you broke down in front of him.

Suddenly, he wrapped his strong arms around you, as though as protecting you from all the pain you were trying to escape from.

A warm, fuzzy feeling rose up in your chest.

What's this? It's the first time I'm being supported...by anyone.

"[last-name]-san, please don't be upset! If there's anything wrong you can talk to me. I'll cheer you up, I promise!"

Looking up, your teary [eye-colour] irises met his fuschia ones. Smiling slightly, you felt the heavy burdens that were slowly pushing you into the ground lift a little.

"Hai, Hazuki-san," you say, "and call me [first-name]."

"Ok! [first-name]-chan, then call me Nagisa! I'll walk you home!" The energetic blond chirped, a tad too excitedly.

The both of you headed out of the room, walking shoulder to shoulder, and you knew that Nagisa would help pull you out of the flurry of emotions that raged inside you.

And as you walked out, the rain had stopped, and for the first time, you saw the sky, the rainbow and your surroundings in full colour.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A/N) I wasn't very sure about how to portray a depressed reader but yeh, Nagisa's going to help you through it :) Sorry if the representation of depression is not exactly realistic!