Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

I passed by cliques of people to start my walk home. I take a short cut, through a iron gate that looks like one that you see in a horror movie, pass dozens upon dozens of houses, and finally go through a few trees, till finally I'm home.

It's peaceful this way. I pass by a bench and fountain that's hidden in the small pathway. No one knows about it but me. It's where I come to think. And since I have zero social life, I come here a lot.

I decided to sit for a minute on the white-wood bench and look at the lake.
It's quiet. It's nice.

Crack.

Oh no. I whip around. Who's here?

It's dead silent now. Like the person is standing still so I don't catch them.

I continue walking through the little woods. I can see my house. An old-tan-faded building with a plain ripped up patio. I feel myself start to run. Why would somebody follow me in the woods?

I finally reach the wooden door and hop inside. I put my stuff down on the marble counter in the living room/kitchen. I spot a note on the fridge.

Cam,
Gone out. Will be back late. Don't wait up.
~mom

Of course. I folded it up and tossed it away.

I walked to the patio and stared out to where the bench was, somewhere behind the tree line that everyone was scared to pass. The place I felt safest. Or I used too.

*************************************

Beep, beep, beep, beep.

I snapped myself out of my sleepy haze and slipped downstairs.

I had slept pretty well. I grabbed my backpack and walked out expecting the same walk as always. Instead I saw Jake walking out. Oh great. Just when I thought I was having a good morning.

He turned right as I passed so we were walking almost next to each other. I stayed silent even though he was staring at me. Ugh, will he seriously ever stop.

We walked like that all the way into class. It really didn't help that he was next to me because desperate girls stared at him in awe and therefore stared daggers at me. I wanted to scream, I AM NOT WITH HIM.

But I couldn't. And so for the rest of the day I had him next to me in every class. I think he knows not to say a word to me. It's probably because I told him, "don't talk to me." He just smirked, wheels turning in his head just below the brown hair.

I realized then that I had been staring at him for awhile. He turned, raised his eyebrows, and opened his mouth to speak, then closed it realizing something. His still kept a grin on though. I rolled my blue eyes and slouched down in my chair, and pulled my dirty blonde hair forward.

I was only staring cause he was being annoying. Right?