Chapter 9

"You know, I'm not really good with the whole friends thing." I stated raising my eyebrows.

"Yea I know." He said grinning. I opened my mouth to protest but he said, " don't worry. I'm kidding. But There's always a chance to start."

I didn't mind having no friends. No friends= no drama. Which means when they leave I won't hurt. I don't know if I wanted to make my friend count change from 0 to 1. But then I thought to the past few days and our three-hour convo. He didn't seem like he would do something bad.

I really wanted to say no and just make him stop annoying me. Well was he really annoying me all that much? His stares yes but his funny banter, no.

"Just going to leave me hanging?" He questioned, rocking from one foot to the other.

I opened my mouth to say something but it was dry. Like a desert swept over. I needed water. I ran outta my room.

I went down the stairs and to the fridge. Opening it, I took out a water bottle and drank. When I ran back up he was turned around texting something.

"Sorry I had to get water." I said but he didn't move. I realized he had headphones in.

Ugh. I look at the wooden desk and picked up a piece of paper. I grabbed a pen and started to scribble something.

YES.

I folded it up and threw it into his room. It grazed his arm and hit the floor.

He bent down to pick it up. I watched as he un crumbled it and read it.

I barely had time to watch him turn around because I gave a small closed smile, did a little shrug and closed the curtains.

But even with them closed I knew his was flashing his award winning smile.

*************************************

I woke up the next morning because of extremely loud tapping.

"What do want? It's 5:30 in the morning!" I exclaimed.

"Meet me outside in 15 minutes. Don't eat breakfast." He replied and shut his window.

I crinkled my eyebrows. What was he up to?

I did as I was told however and put on a white shirt with dark jeans.

I grabbed my backpack and walked outside. He was waiting there in his car.

"Hop in." He said.

"You know when I was little I was told not hop in cars with strangers."

He laughed. "I'm not a stranger. Were friends."

I smiled and got in the car. It was a convertible and the top was down.

My hair was flowing back as we drove. I noticed him staring at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing." He shrugged.

"So you never told me where we are going?" I said.

"It's a surprise." He nodded.

He parked and walked me inside this diner. I gasped when I walked inside. It was completely vintage black and white. It did have some splashes of pink here and there.

"Wow." I mummered.

"I knew you'd like it." He said.

"How?" I said raising one eyebrow.

"I saw a black and white poster on your wall. Very vintage."

I raised both eyebrows. "Wow, well yea I love it's theme. How did you know about this place?" He was new after all.

He put his hands in his jeans and looked down. His hair fell forward to cover. I think he was tearing up.

I wasn't sure cause when he looked up he was rubbing his eye. "Got something stuck in my eye." He said.

I wasn't sure of he was lying but I didn't push it.

"My dad used to bring me here when I was little." He said.

I looked at him puzzled. "But you just moved here?"

"I had family a few towns back. My dad and I would drive to visit them and drive here."

"That's..sweet." I said finally. A dad that does things. I was about to ask if they go now but then, "Can I take your Order?" The waitress asked.

"Pancakes for both of us." Jake ordered.

Breakfast went by quick. As we were getting closer to the school I realized people will see me as his friend and stare. I mean he now was one of the most popular guys in school. I guess he could tell I was nervous about being watched like constantly cause he put his hand on my shoulder to reassure me.

I was right. People gave him weird looks then death stared me. I mean was it that weird that a popular guy would be my friend? yes. Was it that weird that anyone would be my friend? Yes.

"Hey jake." Lauren said twirling her hair. I rolled my eyes.

"hey Lauren." He responded. He was oblivious to what had happened in the past. I was about to tell him because I would have to go into my dad and I did NOT want to do that.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go see a movie Friday?" She asked batting her eyelashes.

"Uh sure." He nodded. "Well I have to get to class so." He glanced at me and caught me raising my eyebrows.

"What?" He asked.

I shrugged. "Didn't think you were into that."

"Into what?"

"Fake annoying brats."

He laughed and we walked into class with Lauren already sitting down in her seat.

She turned her head back and threw me a note. I unfolded it.

Back off loser was what it said. I choked back a laugh. Back off? I didn't even like him.

She turned back to the front, flipping her cheerleader pony tail in front. I slouched back in my seat. I really
wanted to yank that ponytail.

Hey guys sorry for the long awaited update!! Had writers block with how to fill the chapter! I'm trying to ease into the chaotic drama that will happen soon I promise!!

Any comments? It really helps to know if you guys actually like the story and it makes my day when you guys comment❤️😭

Thanks for reading!