Chapter 8

"Hi Cam." My mom said smiling.

"Hi mom." I said looking confused. Even more confused after she hugged me. She NEVER acts like this.
Happy i mean. She was still in her work suit because she was a lawyer.

Her brown locks fell out of her twist that was clipped to the back of her head. I got my blond hair from my dad.

We sat down to eat take-out chinese that she brought home. We hadn't eaten like this together, talking about our day and everything, in years.

"So Cam, how was your day?"

"Good." I lied. "Yours seems much better?"

My mom grinned. She had a beautiful smile. I was glad to see it back. I hope it lasts.

"I got a promotion!"

"Oh my gosh congrats mom!" I said hugging her. I dropped the fork that I was twirling noodles with.

"Look Cam, I know these pasts few years have been tough and we haven't been spending time or talking with each other, but I really want that to change." She said cupping her hands over mine.

"I'd like that too." I said smiling.

I knew she probably would have to work twice the hours but at least when she was here we could spend time together. I hope.

She passed out on the couch because of how long she worked so I covered her in a wool blanket and went upstairs.

I fell back on my bed and looked up. It was a plain ceiling (of course) painted cream but I'd always imagine what was up above us.

I changed into sweatpants and a white tee shirt. I was putting my hair in a braid when-

Tap, tap, tap

"Ahh-" I yelped, dropping the brush on my foot. I winced, picked up the brush and Looked around.

I suddenly heard laughter coming from the window next door. I plopped up next to my window where I had a place on the wall when you can sit and look out the window.

I rolled it up. "What are you doing?! You scared me to death!" I said staring at Jake. I could see his room clearly, painted blue, a desk to the right and a tv, and on the left, (by the window) comfy chairs spread out. He had moved one of those chairs to the window so we were face to face.

He laughed harder. Why was this so amusing? Ok, being scared by three taps is kind of funny. I started fighting back a grin.

"I didn't realize you would get so scared. Sorry." He did actually look sorry but I was laughing so it was fine.

"You never answered the question. What are you doing?" I asked, curious.

"Well I saw you come in and thought hm maybe she would want to talk. Then I tapped and next thing I know you are screaming and I'm laughing." He smirked.

"Funny." I said, rolling my eyes and laughing. "Why did you want to talk to me anyway? We aren't friends."

"We aren't?" He said, fake gasping and fake looking hurt. His face suddenly became serious. Smiling, he said, "well I'd like us to be. I mean can't neighbors be friendly?"

I snorted. Friendly neighbors? He'd been annoying me for a week and now he wanted to be friends. He started interrogating me with questions.

Basic ones like favorite color? Mine blue, his green.

We basically talked about anything and I didn't even realize how good he was at listening.

"Wow." He said glancing back at something.

"What is it?" I asked, curious. I was lying against the wall sitting.

"It's midnight." He stated. He yawned and laid back in his blue chair. Like it was nothing.

"It's WHAT?!" I jumped up. I ran to the other side of my room across the carpet and my desk. I glanced at the clock. Yep there it said it. Midnight. We had officially been talking 3 hours, nonstop.

A genuine smile crossed his face as he said,"I liked talking to you tonight. I hope we can be friends," he hid his face and blushed. Running his fingers through his brown hair.

I gaped at him, mouth wide open. I was in total shock. This was like a new, nice jake. And to be honest, I kinda liked it.

Hey guys sorry for the long wait! I'll be posting chapter 9 tonight hopefully or tommrow! ❤️❤️

THANKS FOR READING! VOTE OR COMMENT TO LET ME KNOW IF I SHOULD EVEN CONTINUE💕😁

~Callie😊

Ps: CHECK OUT MY FRIENDS BOOK "back to the way it used to be" it's on livinglikelauren ❤️❤️ ❤️❤️ greatly appreciated