Verge of Good Things

I got out of my car and went on my way on campus. This was it. My last ever semester before I got my degree. I was already consumed by people asking me questions about what I was going to do with my anthropology degree. Even more so about my recent engagement.

"Is that an engagement ring?"

"When's the wedding?"

"What kind of dress are you going to be wearing?"

It was all an earful. Yes, I was happy and excited, but I also had my life to take care of. I would be studying like there was no tomorrow, and I would be busy looking for a new job to transfer to when I was finished. It was stressful enough as it was.

The perk was Kyle, though. When he wasn't busy, we spent all our time together. We had tried for a baby for the first time about four weeks before I went back. I didn't know if it worked or not, as I had no signs of being pregnant.

My day was slow, although I spent most of my class time cramming in things for the next. I was generally on top of everything, but my mind was still taking everything in. Getting married, about to graduate, trying to have a child. It seemed overwhelming, all of it.

I got home, and immediately felt like falling asleep. I took a shower which lasted for a while, and then I started binge watching tv. That's when I had the nerve to run to the bathroom to throw up. It went on and went. I probably stopped every ten seconds, and then retreated. It was terrible.

"Mans?" I heard Kyle from outside. "Mans, are you alright?"

"I'm...I'm fine." I said.

I felt him walk in. He kneeled down next to me, placing his big hand against my back. My head deepened into the toilet. I kept throwing up.

"Mans, can I do anything?"

I shook my head. I raised from the toilet and started standing. "I'm okay. I think."

"Mans," he pulled me close to his chest. "Are you-"

"I might be." I said. "It's hard to say. I haven't had any other symptoms."

He stoked his fingers in my hair. "Would you like me to go back and out and buy a test?"

"There's no need," I answered. "I work at a pharmacy, remember? I've got a few double packs."

.......

I hated the agony of waiting. I had tried four different pregnancy tests, and then I left them all in the bathroom while they processed my result. Kyle held me in his arms downstairs on the couch. I was so lucky to be marrying him soon.

"Are you nervous?" he asked me.

"A little bit, are you?"

"A little bit. I want this so bad I can't stand it. It seems like it would be too good to be true."

"But if I'm not, we've only tried twice. It'll pick up, hopefully."

"But what if I'm one of those people who can't give you any kids? What if it's a struggle for us?"

"Let's start with this round." I said, jumping up and heading up the stairs.

I felt him following me. When I stopped at the bathroom door, I hesitated.

"Mans?"

"I don't think I can do this," I confessed. "I really want this, Kyle. Really."

He put his hand on my face. "Then we'll go in together. Right now."

He reached below and turned the knob. Slowly pushing the door open Kyle stepped in right before I did.

The first test: PREGNANT

The second test: PREGNANT

The third test: PREGNANT

The fourth test: PREGNANT

"Oh...my...God..." I feel tears coming up. "I'm..."

"Pregnant," he whispered. He looked so happy in that moment, 20× happier than his normal bright self.

When our eyes met, it was only a split second before I had jumped into his arms. He spun around as he held me tight to his chest. He kissed me hard.

"We're gonna have a baby!" he said through tears. I held onto him tighter, burying my fingers in his beard. "We get to decorate one of the rooms in the house! We get to buy little clothes and shoes!"

"I know, Kyle." I said. "I'm so happy. You've given me everything I could ever ask for."

"I can't wait." he said. "I'm going to be a daddy!"

I kissed him again. "And you'll be amazing."