Birth

O C T O B E R

"I'm officially out of work for the next month." said Kyle.

"Good," I said. "That reminds me,"

"What?"

"I had another ultrasound today. They said I'm supposed to have the baby as early as next week."

He smiled. "Really?"

"Yeah." I said.

"Mandie, that's amazing!" He pulled me close and kissed me. "I can't wait. I'm going to be a dad!"

"And she's going to love you." I said. "I know. She kicks every time you talk."

"You're kidding?"

I took his hand and placed it over the watermelon belly I had. "Say something, Kyle."

"Are you serious?" He said.

That's when I felt that little nudge. "There it is."

"Oh! Oh wow!" He said, tearing up. His moves downwards to face my bump. "Hi baby. I get to see you soon! Are you ready?"

I felt another kick. At that very moment, I felt something off.

"Wow," I said.

"What?"

"I...I think my water just...broke."

.......

When we got to the hospital, Kyle helped me out of the car. I was already in overwhelming pain. A few security guards had already gotten a wheelchair ready as my husband helped me in.

"Are you ready?" He asked.

I shook my head, overtaken by the pain. "I don't want to do this."

"I know, but it's going to be alright."

We got onto the elevator and going up felt so long. It felt as though the world was falling and shrinking. I couldn't think straight.

Finally, we were on the maternity floor. Kyle pushed me to the counter.

"Simmons. Manda Simmons." he said.

"Age twenty eight?" asked the counter woman.

"Yes." I said.

"Of course. Come this way."

.......

I lied back helplessly on the delivery table. The room was dark, and I could barely breathe or speak as labor took hold of me. I couldn't take it. It felt as though I was being burned alive.

"It's okay, Mans, it is." said Kyle. "We're going to have her and she's going to come home with us."

"I...can't...have...the baby...now."

"We have to, Mans."

That was when the doctor came in. "How are we?"

I shook my head.

"I'm going to see where you are." she said.

Kyle rubbed my face. "It's okay Mans."

"It's time to push, Manda." said the doctor.

She was quick to lean me up and spread my legs out. I was scared and definitely not ready to do this.

"You can do it, Manda." Kyle said.

"Push," said the doctor. "Push."

That's when I did. Finally I screamed after trying to hold them in. I pushed with a good amount of force.