Email

A U G U S T
I had just quit my job at the pharmacy, and it felt good. I was wondering there for nearly five years, and I didn't realize just how chained down I was. Those days, I spent sitting at home with Kyle or out buying stuff for the nursery. I had my mind set to be as careful as possible.

The dream I had about losing my baby never left me. I unwillingly kept seeing it pop into my mind, mostly when I was alone. I couldn't lose her. I wouldn't. Kyle couldn't, and I surely couldn't fail him. He wanted our child, and he deserved. I may not have, but I wanted her too, and I would die just to bring her into the world safely.

I sat down on the couch with my laptop and cup of Chai tea. Kyle was right beside me, checking his Twitter.

Immediately, I had a notification from my email. It was from my brother. I sighed and mentally prepared myself for whatever it was.

Manda,
I can't help but wish you would come back to us. Mother is worried sick and Leah isn't handling it very well either. My boy keeps asking about his aunt, and my wife as well. I want you to come back. I don't know exactly what happened with you and Mum or if getting married changed your outlook on life, but we miss you.   
                                          -Elliott Queen

Exactly what I was expecting. I knew he would try to contact me after everyone else kept failing. He was overbearing, and very determined. Manipulative, even. I admit, I missed him and my nephew, but I didn't want to risk crossing paths with my mother ever again. With that, I started writing him back.

Elliott,
I want to thank you for your letters and gesture, but this is my life now. I am about to give birth to my child, and I can't bare to go back to all the negativity and controlling of Mum, as well as you trying to manipulate me, like you're trying to. I love you, and I really wish I could see you, but I couldn't stand looking Mum or Leah in the eyes after what they said against my husband and my baby.
                                             -Manda S

It wasn't even an hour later when my brother sent me another email.

Manda,
Please communicate with me. I know about Stephen Tyree.
                                                -Elliott Q

I froze when I saw those words. Before, I held the thought that I was the only one who knew our father was alive, since Kyle's mum had told me. How my brother knew was a mystery. I couldn't send another email...

I shut my laptop, walked out of the living room.

"Kyle, I'll be in the bedroom."

He looked up and nodded. "Yell if you need anything." 

I would've bent down to kiss him, but my 7 month bump disagreed. I reached for my phone and dialed his number. It only rang twice.

"This is Elliott Queen speaking, how may I help you?"

"Don't play games with me, El." I said. "You wanted to talk, now is your chance. Don't disappoint me."

"So, Manda, you want to talk about Dad, do you?"

"How do you know about Stephen?" I asked.

"I've always known, Mandala. I was four when him and Mum decided to separate. I knew he wasn't dead, I just promised to never tell anyone."

"Then how did you know I knew? Susan told you, didn't she?"

"She did, indeed. And now Leah knows too, but she wants no part of it. I've spoken to the man on the phone a few times."

"You...what?"

"It's true. He's glad he got a hold of me, and now he wants to meet us. Me and you."

"In Paris, is it?"

"Yes. He wants us to meet him there. He says he is unwelcome in England."

"Why?"

"He didn't say."

"I can't, Elliott. I want to, but I can't. I'm seven months pregnant, and it's far too dangerous. I can't."

"Really?" he asked suspiciously. "That reminds me, how's your husband?"

"Great." I answered. "He's downstairs right now, if you must know."

"Is he keeping you from seeing all of us? Like your first husband did?"

"Of course not!" I shouted. "Kyle would never! He just understands my decision."

"Just curious."

"Is that why you sent me messages in the first place? To get me to come back?"

"Partly. But like I said, our dad, my son, me. We want to see you."

"I'll make a deal with you." I said. "We can meet somewhere alone tomorrow. Bring Alec if you really must. But no Mum. Not even a mention of her."

"Very well." He said. "See you then."

I hung up, and then Kyle came in.

"Mans? Is everything alright?" he sat down on the bed next to me.

I nodded. "It's fine. My brother called. He really wants to see me."

"Are you going to?" he asked.

"Tomorrow. But I told him that he can't tell or bring my mother. I don't want to have anything to do with her."

"I'm sorry, Princess." he said, wrapping his arms over my shoulders. "I wish there was something I could say or do to help. You let go of your family, and I feel like it's my fault."

"No, it's not." I said. "And you have done enough already. I may have lost a family, but I have an even better one now. And this one is growing."

I took his hands and placing them over my bump with my own. I could feel her moving around.

"Mans, do you ever want to see them again? Your Mum and your sister?"

"No," I said. "I couldn't possibly. They both said that our baby was a mistake. That was my breaking point, Kyle. If they really have the nerve to say that, then they don't deserve to be in my life. You and the baby are my life, and all that matters to me."

He bent forward and kissed me. I put my hands over his beard and pressed my forehead against his. I then kissed his lips again.

"Can I talk to her?" he asked me.

"Of course." I said, leaning back on the bedframe, and rolling up my top. That was when I felt his fingers against my skin.

"Hi, Baby." he said. "It's Daddy, and I still can't wait to see you."

I ran my fingers in his hair.

"We've only got two more months until I get to see your beautiful face. I'm sure you'll look like your Mum."

"You know, we have to come up with a name for her." I interrupted.

"I've actually got one in mind." he said.