Time for the Dress

"What do you think about this one?" Leah asked me, holding up a strapless dress with poofy lace.

I shook my head. "I think it's too 'Hey, Look at Me!'. Plus the skirt is way too fluffy. I would look like white cotton candy."

"Okay, so no poof." she said.

"What about that one?" Mum asked me, pointing to the tight mermaid dress with pearls at the top.

I cringed. "No way."

Mum shrugged. Leah walked down a new row of dresses to investigate. It was in that moment when I was alone with my mother. I wanted to talk to her about her lying, but it still wasn't the right place. If anything, she would deny the truth. I immediately thought about something else.

"Mum, I had a thought...about the wedding and all."

"Really? What?"

"I want baby's breath included. In my bouquet, in the decorations, and maybe even my hair."

"Why Mandala, that's a wonderful idea! It's a beautiful plant. Delicate and soft, just like you."

I smiled. "Great. So whatever dress I end up with, it should match the baby's breath."

"I don't think you're gonna find that kind of dress here." said Leah, walking back to us. "All that's left are prom dresses and plus size things."

"That's a shame," I said.

"Worry not, Mandala." said Mum. "This is only the second bridal shop we've tried."

We started heading out the door. I felt my phone vibrate. It was Rosie, Dan's wife.

Rosie: Did you find a dress yet?

Me: No. Nothing I've seen is right for me.

Rosie: Yeah, it was like that for me. That's when I decided to design my own.

Me: Was it expensive?

Rosie: A little bit.

Me: OK. Where is it?

Rosie: North part of London.

Me: Great. Will you go with me?

Rosie: I wish I could but I promised Adley I would take him to the mall today.

Me: That's fine, I'll just ask my mother to take me.

Rosie: Yeah, sorry. Choose wisely on your dress, and don't settle for anything less than what you want.

I put my phone down. "Mum?"

"Yes sweetheart?" she asked, sitting in the passenger's seat of my sister's car.

"A friend of mine told me about a place where I can design my own dress just a few miles away from here. Can we go?"

"Sounds like a plan." she said.

.......

"Okay," I said. "That's how I want it."

"Absolutely positive?" asked the measuring lady.

"Yes. I'm very happy with it."

"I agree with her," said Mum. "I think it's perfect."

"Me too." said Leah.

"Then this is it?" the manager asked.

"Without a doubt." I replied.

"I'll buy." said Mum.

"Mum, you really don't have to." I said.

"Why not?" said Leah. "She bought mine."

I shrugged. "Oh well. Thank you, Mum."

.......

When I got home, Kyle was already there waiting for me.

"There's my future wife." he wrapped his arms around me.

I kissed him gently, but he returned the favor roughly. "I missed you too, Kyle. I always do."

"I want to see the dress." he said.

"Oh well, Kyle. I want it to be a surprise, plus it's not done yet."

"Only one more month." he said. "Can I wait that long? I don't think I can."

"I don't want to wait seven more months to hold our child, but I have to. And I imagine he'll be worth the wait."

"He?" Kyle said.

"It's just a guess. I have a feeling."

He kissed me again. "That reminds me, I have something to show you."

"What?" I asked as he took my hand and led me up the stairs. "Kyle, where are we going?"

"Look." he said, opening the door to one of the room he usually kept shoes piled up.

The shoes were gone completely. Not on the floor, not on top of any shelves or furniture. Completely stripped. I had never seen this room without Kyle's shoes collection all over the place. The smell was restored too, with the scent of lavender. In the middle of the room, there was a white crib, already set up.

"Kyle...what did you do?"

"I cleaned this room out so the baby can have it. I swept, mopped, and dusted it after I moved all my shoes to the cupboard."

"Wow. It's so...clean. And it smells good too."

"I know. It took about four hours, but it's fine."

I walked to the crib and touched it. "You did this too?"

"Yep. You know I'm a pro at building things the right way."

"It's perfect." I said. I hugged him tight, and he kissed the top of my head.

"You want to paint the walls? I know you're really good at it."

"Yes, I do. I want everything to look good. Comfortable for a newborn."

"And it will be. What do you say we go to Bed Bath and Beyond tomorrow."

I nodded. "That sounds great. But I don't want to fully decorate until we actually know what gender it is."

"How much longer is that?"

"Next month. I think it's the week after the wedding we can find out."

"Good."

I looked around the room one more time before walking out. It was bigger than I ever imagined. Perfect for a baby.

"Mans, have you looked into any more careers yet?"

"I have, but I don't want to start right away. I'll have to spend the first several months taking care of the baby after it's born."

"When are you going to leave-"

"Soon." I said. "When it's time, anyway. I'm tired now. I'm going off to bed."

I started heading for the bedroom we shared. I didn't imagine her would come with me, but he did.

"I'm personally not tired, but I want to stay with you. If you want."

I nodded. He leaned back on the bed, and I followed. He wrapped both of his arms around me, and I buried my head in his chest. I closed my eyes as I felt his lips pressed against my forehead. Nothing but warmth, all because of my sunlight...