4

Yuki quietly unlocked the front door when she came in, trying not to wake up Alfred or Mystery, who were probably asleep already. She paused at Mystery's room, surprised to see he was still awake. This would be the perfect opportunity to give him the gift she had brought. As she approached, however, she could see that he was shaking.

"Hey, are you-" she started to say but stopped when she noticed that he wasn't wearing any pants. She quickly turned away and covered her eyes, red with embarrassment.

When Mystery noticed her at the doorway he jumped up and awkwardly pulled on some pajama bottoms.

"You can open your eyes now," he said.

Yuki dropped her hands away from her face and walked into the room. "Sorry, I should have knocked first."

"It's alright, we all make mistakes," Mystery said reassuringly, scratching the back of his head.

Yuki smiled, the both of them sitting back on the bed. She pulled her hand away in surprise when she felt something damp on the sheets.

"Ummm, why is the bed wet?" She asked with a raised brow.

Quick! Mystery panicked to himself, think of a good excuse!

"Uh, well, I spilled a drink earlier and forgot to wash the blankets."

Yuki crossed her arms in curiosity, "Right... and why does it smell weird?"

Oh fuck, she's good.

"Sorry, um, I haven't cleaned these bed sheets for at least 2 or 3 years," Mystery mumbled, looking away.

Yuki didn't look convinced but decided to drop the subject.

"Well, I know that we haven't known each other for that long, but um, do you remember Mago?" she asked him.

"Oh my god yes! I miss him so much!" Mystery frowned.

"Well, I went to your old house where you used to live with your parents, and stumbled across your room," she paused when she saw the confused look on the doctor's face. "Uh, don't ask why I was at your house."

"Alright?" Mystery replied skeptically.

"I'll be right back," Yuki said, walking back out into the hallway. When she returned, she was holding a tattered doll in her arms.

"Mago!" Mystery cried, quickly snatching the doll out of her arms.

He jumped up and spun around with it as a little girl would. Yuki giggled at his childish behavior.

Then she yelped when she felt Mystery grab her off the floor and spin her as well. He had a huge smile on his face, full of joy, and Yuki couldn't help but smile too. She had never seen him so happy.

"Ha, ha! Could you put me down now?" She laughed, "We don't want to wake up Alfred."

"Hee hoo! Alright!" Mystery lowered her back onto her feet and pulled her into a hug.

"Thanks so much for finding him," he whispered when they broke apart, holding the doll to his chest.

"You're welcome."

-

Alfred woke up when he heard Yuki laugh. He crept into the hallway, curious where the noises were coming from. It was Mystery's room. He peered through a crack in the door. Seeing Yuki and Mystery smiling together made him upset, but he didn't know why.

He was surprised to see the doll clutched in Mystery's arms. He hadn't seen it since the carnival all those years ago. It was nice of Yuki to return it to him, but he still felt bitter about it. He closed the door quietly so he wouldn't be noticed, and walked back to his bedroom.