11

"I thought we had something special Al!" Kao sobbed into Alfred's shoulder.

The man didn't know how to respond, "Kao I-I..."

"Kao, please understand that Alfred just doesn't love you," Mystery tried to explain in as soothing a tone as he could manage.

"You don't know that! Now shut up! ...please," Kao continued to cry, his small frame shaking with despair.

Alfred looked over to Mystery, who had a deep frown on his face. The dog hated when people hurt Mystery's feelings. He stood up, struggling slightly because his back still ached. He put his hands on his hips, upset.

"That's enough Kao! Don't you understand that I don't love you!?"

Kao stared at him in disbelief. "Alfred... but why h-him? He screwed up your life! He hurt you!"

Alfred looked back at Mystery, whose shoulders were now hunched over in shame. He seemed completely miserable.

The dog turned to Kao, who shot him a hopeful look.

Alfred sighed, "Because he is special to me. Yes, he did sort of screw up my life... but he's changed. He's proved it to me. I've started to feel different... he makes me feel a way that I don't think anyone else ever could. That's why I love him. Can't you just accept that?"

Mystery smiled weakly, but Kao's tears just welled up again. It was hard for him to understand.

"But he... he..."

Mystery walked up to Kao and kneeled down to his height. He gently put a hand to the other's face, smiling softly. Kao blushed slightly, but his tears continued to flow.

"It's okay to cry, I understand this is hard for you..."

Kao suddenly hugged Mystery, weeping into his chest. Mystery awkwardly patted his back as Alfred stared at them with a jealous look.

"Kao, I'm sure you'll find someone, but please understand that you can't force someone to love you," Mystery explained.

Kao sniffled and wiped his face, "I-I know."

The two let go of each other, a small smile appearing on Kao's face.

"There's that cute grin!" Mystery beamed, causing Kao to giggle.

"Ahem!" Alfred cleared his throat from the other side of the room.

The other two looked at him curiously.

"Aw, is my puppy jealous?~" Mystery teased.

Alfred blushed as Kao gave a light-hearted laugh.

"No! I was just reminding you guys that I'm... still here..." Alfred mumbled.

Kao raised an eyebrow, "Haha, sure."

The dog rolled his eyes.

"I was..." He started but stopped talking when Mystery got up and made his way towards him.

"Don't lie to me, Alfred. I know when you're lying~"

"... Alright... maybe just a little," the man admitted quietly.

"Aha! Gotcha!" Mystery grinned triumphantly.

Kao laughed a bit more.

"Hey Kao, since you're here, want to get some lunch? You never know, you might meet someone else while we're out," Mystery suggested.

Kao thought for a moment, remembering how Rex looked when Mystery had told him that he had someone else. Rex had cried a lot because of it. Kao wondered if he still felt the same way, or if he had moved on already.