12

They arrived at the hospital quickly. Alfred and Mystery were still out cold from blood loss; The glass shards had gone deep, but thankfully no lasting damage had been done.

It had been three hours already, and Kao was still waiting in the waiting room. There was hardly anybody at the hospital, except for a man who looked quite suspicious. He was looking at Kao with a smirk. Kao just stared at his lap and pretended to not notice.

"Aren't you a friend of 'Victor', or 'Mystery' as he likes to go by now?" The stranger spoke.

Kao gulped, trying to tune him out. The stranger shot him a glare, and the small man started trembling. He couldn't keep ignoring him, not with how uncomfortable he was beginning to feel.

"No sir, you must be mistaking me for someone else," Kao said quietly.

"Is that so? Then why did I see you with him at the mall?"

Kao was really scared now, his eyes widening in fear. He kept completely silent until the nurse came out.

"Mr. Burns?"

The stranger got up and looked at Kao.

"I hope we can have a real conversation soon... Kao."

Kao trembled in his seat, starting to sweat. Once the stranger left, Kao exhaled in relief. He really hoped that they wouldn't run into each other again. He sighed, once more beginning to worry for his friends.

Today is not my day, he thought dejectedly to himself, I really failed Alfred. Maybe I actually am useless after all.

He chuckled to himself as tears rolled gently down his cheeks.

I'm supposed to protect Alfred. What kind of guardian angel am I if I can't even do that?

He heard a door open and looked up. It was the nurse. She turned to him, looking down at her clipboard.

"Mr. Ushi?"

He felt a bit nervous as he stood up and walked towards the nurse.

"You must be Kao, please follow me," she said, beginning to walk down the hallway.

When they got to the room that Mystery and Alfred were in, the nurse opened the door to let Kao inside.

"Mr. Brown, you have a visitor."

Alfred turned his focus from Mystery's sleeping form to the nurse. He felt joy well into his chest upon seeing Kao. He was happy to have company, and just his presence alone was enough to cheer him up.

"Thank you, ma'am," he nodded slightly at the nurse. "Hey, Kao."

Kao waved to him enthusiastically.

"You only have half an hour, we still need to remove some shards of glass," the nurse informed them.

Kao smiled and nodded.

When he walked completely into the room, the nurse closed the door and let them be.

Kao looked sadly at the bandages wrapped around Alfred's head. At least the man was awake, that was a relief.

Sadly, however, Mystery wasn't, having taken the worst of the damage in the driver's seat. He was wearing some bandages around his arms, legs, and face.

Kao looked back at Alfred, happy to see that the dog was still breathing.

"Alfred! Are you okay?!?" He cried, a little louder than he intended to.

Alfred winced, "Shhh..."

"Oh sorry," Kao looked down, "let me repeat myself... are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

"How about Mystery, is he going to be okay?"

They both looked at Mystery who was still breathing, but also completely unconscious. The longer they looked, the more they began to frown.

Alfred turned back to Kao, not wanting to see how much the car crash had injured the doctor. Part of Alfred was mad at Mystery for crashing, but the other part of him knew that he probably couldn't help it. He didn't have the courage to look at the cat, he knew he just couldn't. He knew he would tear up if he saw his face one more time.

"W-Well, they already took most of the g-glass out of him. They bandaged both of us to stop the bleeding, and to help our bruises heal quicker. I had less than him, so the doctors are almost done with me," Alfred said, frowning.

"That's good to hear... I'm so sorry for what you and Mystery had to experience... it must have been horrible. I'm glad they're almost done with you... but... when will Mystery wake up?" Kao inquired.

"I asked, but all they told me was that he would wake up soon."

Kao looked down, still disappointed in himself.

"I'm sorry Alfred..."

"For what?" The man replied, confused.

"I came here to protect you. You kept praying over and over again, and God finally decided to send me down, to protect you... but... I failed.

Alfred smiled sadly, "Kao you didn't fail me, you never have. Don't be so hard on yourself, because what happened wasn't your fault. Besides, look at how much Mystery has changed, look at what he and I have become."

Alfred chuckled softly until his laughs turned into sobs. Kao frowned deeply at the tears running down the dog's cheeks.

"Alfred?" He asked gently.

"I'm sorry Kao... I'm just scared."

"Of what?"

"What if... what if Mystery doesn't wake up? What if he's gone forever?"

Kao sighed, "Oh Alfred..."

He walked up to him and hugged him gently, trying not to hurt him. Alfred flinched at the contact, not wanting to be touched, but let Kao continue because he didn't want to be rude.

"It was just a car crash, I'm sure he'll be fine... even though he got injured, he is still alive," Kao reassured him.

Alfred sniffled and slowly started to hug him back. It made him feel just a little bit better.

"I'm sorry that Mystery and I have caused you so many problems."

Kao pulled back to look at him, "What exactly do you mean by 'caused me problems'?"

"We made you heartbroken, almost got you injured, and then made you cry because of me."

Kao let go of Alfred with a confused expression.

"Why are you bringing all of this up?"

"I'm sorry, I'm just really scared, and it's making me feel worse about everything."

Kao squeezed his hand, "Alfred, Mystery is going to be okay. What happened was nobody's fault."

"You're right... sorry, sometimes I can be really dramatic," Alfred said with a smile.

"Sometimes? More like all the time," Mystery's voice called from the other side of the room.

End of Chapter 12

Words- 1021