Chapter 9: Kanra

------------

Sakura smiled politely at Shizuo. "Yes! Nice to meet you again Shizuo-kun!" She said, pulling Yuu away from the man, trying not to show that she was scared for the child's safety.

"Nee-chan you know him..? I thought he just mixed up papa." Yuu asked, holding the woman's hand.

"Shizuo and I met the other day at a friends place." She told him, ruffling his hair. Yuu nodded and didn't ask any more questions.

Shizuo stared at the child then looked at Sakura. "Are you the mom?" He asked. Sakura shook her head and laughed.

"No he isn't mine. My friend adopted him and I'm babysitting while he's working." She answered, still laughing a bit.

Shizuo nodded in understanding. "Sorry for assuming. So how have you been?" He asked, surprisingly calm.

"I'm good. Shinra is still quite the handful." She joked, chuckling a bit.

Shizuo smiled. "That's good. He hasn't been cheery in a long time, I'm glad he's doing fine." He said with sincerity.

Sakura got confused, Shinra was happy all the time from what she saw. "What do you mean?" She asked him.

"His close friend died around a year ago... I was insensitive and made him mad... He's been unwell since then...so I'm glad he's back to how he used to be." Shizuo said, clenching his fists, angry with himself.

"I can't help but feel guilty..." He added quietly. Sakura smiled and pat his shoulder comfortingly, despite him being taller.

"I'm sure he doesn't hold resentment to you. Maybe apologize if the subject ever comes up, I'm sure he'll forgive you!" She said, allowing Yuu to hug the tall man.

Shizuo chuckled and ruffled Yuu's hair. "Thanks for the comfort you two. You aren't so bad." He directed the last part at Sakura.

Sakura put a hand over her heart in mock offense. "I thought we bonded!" She said jokingly, not able to hide her smile.

Yuu laughed at Sakura while Shizuo just watched them, amused. "Sorry Shizuo but I should get Yuu home before his dad gets worried." She said, grabbing Yuu's hand once more and leading him back to their homes.

Yuu looked back at waved at Shizuo until he was out of view. Shizuo waved back at the child, smiling softly.

He was surprised, he had never felt warmth when talking to children, not even the little girl that seemed attached to him when Vorona was still around.

He quickly replaced his smile with a frown. It wasn't like him to feel like that, he was usually angry at the smallest things. Children usually annoyed him but he didn't feel annoyed when Yuu was around.

Of course he wouldn't attack a child but he still preferred to stay away from them. Despite his attempts to frown he couldn't hide the smile on his face as he walked to Russia Sushi.

-------------
[The next weekend]

Izaya woke up feeling strange. He wasn't sick or dizzy but something felt off to him. When he checked in on Yuu, who was sleeping soundly in bed, Izaya didn't feel the same way he usually did.