Chapter 28.5: Birthday Special

[Happy birthday to Izaya and Ono Daisuke (the voice of Shizuo)! This is a side story/flashback which means that this special chapter is canon to this fanfiction. I hope you like it!]

-------------

Izaya had always spent his birthdays alone after he graduated high school. His family and friends never showed up and he rarely got any birthday wishes from them. This fact stayed with him and he didn't even bother to tell Sakura about his birthday, he didn't care anymore...lacking emotions wasn't so bad. At least he wasn't suffering like he used to.

"Izaaaaaaa~ I'm baaaaaack! Guess who got permission to visit!" The ex-informant covered his ears at the sound of his roommate.

"Welcome home-" He tried to think of who Sakura would bring over. "I don't know, who?" He walked out of his room to greet Sakura and whoever her guest was.

He definitely was not expecting to see Yuu at his doorstep. "Pardon the intrusion!" The little boy said as he took off his shoes and put them next to Sakura's.

"Well? Are you surprised? I got permission to bring Yuu-chan for a visit! You totally want to give me a hug right? Right?" To Izaya, Sakura looked like a puppy in need of attention.

Yuu looked between the pair, as if waiting for Izaya to hug the energetic woman. Once it was clear that Izaya was not going to fling himself into Sakura's waiting arms, Yuu decided to give her a hug. "Sakura nee-chan, thanks for bringing me!"

He smiled and tried to swat her hands away as she poked his cheek. "You're such a cutie! If I wasn't poor as heck, I'd totally adopt you. I also have my hands full with taking care of Iza."

"I believe it to be the other way around...the only thing you do is cook...I do the laundry, clean, organize, make sure you get to work on time-"

"Okay okay! I think he gets it!" Sakura pouted as if she were a child. "Iza is so mean to me."

Izaya just sighed, he wasn't awake enough for this. "I haven't had my morning coffee so I'm going to have to ask you to tone it down about 100 notches."

Yuu and Sakura looked at each other and grinned evilly. The each stood next to Izaya, on opposite sides of course, and then began laughing as loud as they could. Izaya flinched at the noise and tried to walk backwards to escape but he tripped and fell. "I don't get paid enough for this..." He sighed.

"But Iza, you don't get paid at all!" Skaura giggled and helped him up after making her very astute observation. Yuu also joined in on the giggling before Sakura picked him up and began tickling him. Instead of giggling, he was full on laughing while yelling 'mercy!' over and over.

Izaya walked to the kitchen and began brewing some coffee, he was going to need it if he was going to get through the day without losing his sanity. Izaya and sanity in the same sentence? What sorcery was this?

-------------

'He hasn't left the room all day, I'm worried about him.' Shizuo tried to think about why Shinra would suddenly be more depressed than usual. The dull Alan in front of him noticed his confusion and explained more. 'This would have been Izaya's birthday, he still feels guilty about it.'

"Oh." Was all Shizuo could say. The flea's birthday? He knew he probably should have known what day it was since they knew each other since high school but they usually spent their time fighting so it was natural that the subject of birthdays never came up.

'I tried everything, he won't even respond to flirting. I don't know what to do.' It was obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes that Celty was truly concerned and probably more desperate than she should have been.