Chapter 17: Past

(AN: Just a heads up, this chapter is a little different from usual.)

-------------

Sakura left the apartment with Yuu and went to her own. "Yuu, you're gonna have to stay with me until we can knock some sense into your papa, okay?" She really didn't want Yuu to go through this but she had to make do.

Yuu had tears in his eyes as he nodded. Sakura smiled and ruffled his hair. "Come on, I'll make you a snack then I'll tell you a story"

Yuu wiped away his tears and walked into the kitchen. "I'll help" He didn't want Sakura to know how much it hurt so he smiled and laughed and told jokes to brighten the mood.

Eventually the pair ended up throwing cake batter at eachother. "I'm not gonna lose to a kid!" Sakura yelled as she threw a handful of batter at the 7 year old.

"I'm a big boy! I'll win!" Yuu replied, cake batter all over his face and clothes. The two kept up their fight until all the batter was splatter around the kitchen.

"We've made quite the mess, maybe we can just have some cookies" Sakura said, feeling better.

"Cookies! Yay!" Yuu cheered as he ran to the bathroom to clean his face and hands.

Sakura laughed as she cleaned the counters and floor. 'Maybe I can keep him distracted so he won't think about it...' She thought.

A few minutes later, Yuu ran back in. "I'm clean now! Time for cookies and a story!"

Sakura put the cookies on a plate and set the plate on the dining room table. "Okay, get comfy because this will take a while"

"There once was a girl named Sakura-"

"Oh, is the story about you nee-chan?"

"Nope, this is a different Sakura"

"Sakura was very cheerful, she loved cherry blossoms which was quite ironic because her parents happened to name her after them.

She was a good kid, she had a very close friend. This friend of hers was American so they only got to video chat after the friend moved away from Japan.

But the two stayed in touch, despite the long distance. What Sakura didn't know was that her friend had grown a crush on her and was planning to visit her in Japan so they could confess.

The friend, however, didn't know that Sakura was too selfless for her own good. Soon after Sakura graduated high school, she was walking home from work and saw a little boy run into the street.

A car was speeding toward the boy, the driver couldn't see the small child so he didn't stop. Sakura noticed and pushed the kid out of the way.

She was hospitalized soon after. Her best friend visited her and confessed their feelings towards her. Sakura knew she wouldn't survive so she told the friend that she couldn't hurt them even more.

"Nee-chan, this is a sad story..." Yuu said, wiping Sakura's tears as they flowed.

"No, this story ends happily I promise" Sakura reassured the child.

"Her friend visited her every day until the day Sakura passed away. Her friend was at her side, her last words were 'I love you too' before her body went limp.

Sakura's friend was heartbroken but knew that Sakura wouldn't want them to be sad, so they picked themselves up, went to medical school and moved to Japan.

Their degree didn't work in Japan so they had to become an underground doctor. They didn't mind though, they had the ability to help people who made bad choices in their lives.

But losing Sakura changed them, they didn't feel anything. No sadness, anger, fear, joy. They were blank. And they constantly questioned why they were a doctor if they couldn't save Sakura.

Eventually though, they were walking home from the store. They saw a little boy who was crying, they asked him what was wrong and found out that he was lost.

They helped him find his mother and something about the look she gave them sparked something. They felt happy for the mother, being able to find her kid safe and sound.

They slowly got their feelings back and realized that they could help others. They decided to change their identity and move to a different city for work. They kept their job as an underground doctor and helped many people.

Of course though, they had to choose a new name. The most fitting one was Sakura. She would have wanted her legacy to live on somehow so her best friend decided to use her name to do some good.

"Nee-chan, I don't get it. How were they happy? Sakura went bye bye forever" Yuu asked.

"Because, even though Sakura died, her selflessnes inspired another person to do the same. She inspired her best friend to keep going and help as many people as possible"

"Nee-chan, is this story real?"

Sakura smiled, tears streaming down her face once more. "One hundred percent"

Yuu hugged Sakura, realizing the truth. The story really was about his big sister, just not in the way he had thought.

"Yuu-chan... I miss her..." Sakura mumbled.

Yuu hugged Sakura. "Nee-chan don't cry! We can visit her! Let's go back and see her. I want to meet Sakura"

Sakura smiled, "Yeah...lets help your papa first, then we can all visit her...together"

(Sorry for such a short chapter! I just really think that Sakura needed to vent after all that has happened to her so she could gain the courage to face Izaya and snap him back to his senses.)

-Sky