Chapter 12: Hotpot

-------------
[A month later]

Izaya had been searching for the fake Kanra for a month, he barely had time to watch Yuu and keep up with work but luckily Shizuo offered to babysit ever since the first time he offered to watch Yuu.

Yuu loved talking about Shizuo and one time when Shizuo was watching him, Celty drove by and saw them. She parked her motorcycle and talked to them for a bit.

Very soon Celty started offering to babysit Yuu too since it got lonely when Shinra was working with Sakura. Izaya was glad that they didn't realize who he was and savored his friendship with them.

He was broken out of his thoughts by a knock at the door. He opened it to reveal Shizuo and Yuu, Yuu ran inside and Izaya let Shizuo in. "Thank you for watching him again. I feel really bad but I've just been getting so much work." Izaya said.

Shizuo shrugged. "It's fine, I like the kid. You're a good father even if you have been busy, he's always telling me stories about how great you are." He replied.

Izaya could sense that Shizuo was on edge ever since the first day babysat Yuu but he never questioned it. Shizuo seemed a bit out of it that day so he decided to finally ask.

"You seem a bit out of it today Shizuo, are you okay?" He asked, a concerned look on his face.

"Oh, I've just been thinking...there is this guy I used to know, he got stabbed and everyone thought he died... but some creep said he was alive. I don't know if I don't want to believe it or if I want to believe it." Shizuo said, sitting down on the couch. He held his head in his hands.

"I'm just so confused. I used to hate the guy but now I don't know how I feel, it's frustrating." He ran a hand through his hair and sighed.

Izaya knew who Shizuo was talking about but had to pretend he didn't. "That must suck. Who was the 'creep' as you so eloquently mentioned?" He asked, playfulness in his tone.

Shizuo shrugged. "Dark hair, all black clothes, I couldn't see his face since he had one of those masks on, the ones used when you're sick." He explained.

Izaya mentally cursed. "He definitely sounds sketchy to me, but I can't tell if he told the truth or lied to get a reaction." He said, pacing around the room.

"You're pacing again." Shizuo laughed. Izaya blushed in embarrassment and sat down, he had grown a habit of pacing ever since the fake Kanra had showed up and Shizuo never missed a chance to tease him for it.

Yuu ran into the room with a paper in hand. "Mister Shizuo I drew something for you!" He said, holding out the paper to the bodyguard.

"Oh, thank you." Shizuo took the paper and looked at the drawing. It was a picture of him, Yuu, and Izaya.

Izaya looked over his shoulder at the drawing and 'awww'ed. "Yuu that's so cute!" Yuu giggled and sat in between to two men.

"Do you like it Mister Shizuo?" Yuu asked expectantly.

"I love it kiddo."

-------------

Mikado, Anri, Saki and Kida stopped their investigation after running into Kadota. They were told that apparently Izaya was alive and well, and that he was back in Ikebukuro.