Part 4 ~Rodrick

I was almost out of wine by the time the others got cleaned up and joined us. They each apologised apart from Asher who just smirked and laughed. Mother scowled but father just smiles lovingly at his children. As the oldest I always had the most responsibility and father trusted me the most. He had taught both me and Asher the importance of honour, duty and responsibility, but I don't think Asher was listening. Dinner was served and we all ate, each taking turns to talk about our days.

As boys me and Asher were very close even thought our personalities are so different. Asher has always been funny, quick and witty, although childish and irresponsible. Where as I am stern, serious and dedicated to my family and my role as Lord. I used to have fun, but recently it's been more difficult to find time for myself. Father always call me to attend him in meetings as well as carrying out my responsibilities. Physically me and Asher are similar - both tall, broad and strong. But where I am slow and steady, Asher is quick and agile.

I wish I could go hunting with Asher or out riding with Isabel. The only comfort I got was with Louise Raeside. My secret lover and my friends sister. Finding Louise was unexpected but exciting. She was close with Isabel growing up, as her brother was with Asher. The eldest Raeside child, Addam, was never seen around Ironwrath, like Rodrick he had responsibilities at home. They were friends growing up, but Rodrick knew Addam and Jakob would not approve of him and Louise. No one would. It was his most guarded secret.

Louise made him happy, he could laugh around her, be himself with her. She was tall like Isabel with shoulder length ,chestnut brown hair to match her eyes. One of the many thinks he enjoyed about her.

Father stood up and I came out of my trance dreaming of Louise.

"I have news - Jon Arryn..." he hesitated, hanging his head low. We all knew how Jon was like a father to him. He continued " he is dead. Taken by a fever. The funeral has been held in King Landing." My mother took his hand and urged him to sit back down in his chair.

"Father, we are sorry for your loss, Lord Arryn was a great and honourable man" I said with sadness in my heart. Isabel looked concerned and comforted Prim and Ryon. Asher stared at his plate.

"There's more - we have been summoned to Winterfell. All of us. The king is coming to see Lord Stark. While we are there we will hold our own funeral for Jon."

Asher had looked up from his plate, trying hard to hide his mischievous grin. Isabel was shocked, and I ... I was sad. As I knew I would have to leave Louise behind and play the dutiful Lord.