Part 14 ~ Isobel

At present there is not a lot happening in Winterfell - the next couple of chapters will focus on Isabel.

It had been a long journey to King's Landing, the whole journey filled with uncomfortable heart ache and pain. Prim was so excited she hadn't given my feeling a thought and yapped like a cat non-stop for days. I was quiet and subdued, I felt numb and alone. Prim was my only comfort, my only reminder of home, of my brothers and that I was alive. Jakob followed me everywhere, I couldn't get a break from his ever looming presence. And I was sick of it.

There was a faint knock at my door, I stayed where I was on my balcony, gazing over the city, the breeze cool against my bare shoulders. My dress was fine pink silk, tired around my waist with a silver belt. My hair fell long over my shoulders, wild as ever. Not in the fashion of the Capital, I often heard Primm say. She has immediately jumped up from the seatee she was lounging on, to wait impatiently as out handmaiden, Becca, opened the door.

In walked my future husband, Renly Baratheon, looking as dashing and well dressed as ever in a light purple doublet over a white shirt with a stag pendant joining it together. Prim curtsied before Renly and he bowed in return smiling at Prim.

"My beautiful ladies, please join me for lunch in the royal gardens" Renly's question was more of a command.

I turned and also curtsied to my Lord , smiling at him.

"Yes, my Lord." I replied and linked my arm through Renly's elbow that he had offered.

I was miserable my first week here, and anytime I spent with Renly was dire, awkward and uncomfortable. For both of us. Especially with Jakob's jealous burning eyes. Finally he had enough and came to my room late at night.

"My dear, I am sorry I have caused such pain to such  beautiful flower. Let it be known I only mean to make you happy. I am to be your husband, but first I wish to be your friend. I know you have left behind heartache - I too have felt this. But we could have a special relationship. If you give us a chance." - Renly had told me this, and I finally began to see him as a person. A person I could be friends with. Not all relationships have love in them, and that is okay.

As we left my chambers Jakob followed close behind - as always. I tensed in his presence, not that Renly or Prim noticed. I could almost feel him walking on my heels he was so close. Renly dismissed him.

"The girls was under the protection of the royal guard today my Lord, you are relieved of your services" Jakob was fuming, but unable to defy a royal, the brother of the King. He took a deep breath to regain some calm, bowed his head and walked away swiftly.

"I know he make you uncomfortable my dear - I am trying to fix this for you - for us both" Renly whispered in my ear, and squeezed my hand compassionately and I couldn't help but smile. I really felt I could trust Renly. He was smart and kind, and he valued me as more that just his future wife. We spoke of arts, books , music and  culture. He listened to me talk of my childhood - although never wanting to speak about himself.  Young Prim adored him, she hung onto every word he said and stared at him in awe. He was also sweet and kind to her. I had only known him such a short period of time, but his company and kindness was helping me heal from the pain of being separated from Robb, and my brothers, without even knowing it.

For lunch we sat in the shade under a stone structured canopy, the garden was buzzing with life. There were ladies enjoying tea, guards on patrol, gardeners tending to the land and Lord's discussing important business, hoping not to be over heard. But even the garden had ears in King's Landing. There was a weir wood tree in the far end too - Renly had showed me as an actor kindness, which both myself and Prim appreciated. Although I have not visited, as only Jakob can accompany me and I wish not to spend time alone with him.

"Isabel, you are dreaming again" Renly was smiling at me.

"Forgive me my Lord, I was thinking of... it does not matter" I looked away quickly trying to hide my discomfort of thinking of Jakob. His obsession with me was ever growing, I could no longer trust him.

Renly leaned in "I know what plagues your mind my love, Your guardsmen, the one that is in love with you" he looked relaxed as ever, where as I was shocked by his boldness along side his calmness. He continued "Do not look so shocked my Lady, this is King's Landing, there is no room for secrets here, also he does not hide this well at all." Renly scoffs and takes a sip of wine.

I grab my wine glass and drink deep, confused that Renly is so relaxed, and what the purpose is of this conversation. I glance around, there is no-one near by, Becca is running through the flowers with Prim as she laughs and spins around, happy as ever.

"You see, when we marry you must go to Storm's End, your role is  to raise our child when he comes, my place is here by my brother the king. I can help you, I can send Jakob back north, even better I can send him to the wall my lady, for your I would do that. But know this, I can also ensure Jakob follows you everywhere, every moment of everyday. He will do whatever I command."

I was shocked, hurt, betrayed. Jakob was working with Renly? Renly was playing me these past weeks and now he was threatening me. Just as I let my guard down and began to feel comfortable... Renly showed his true colours. He is a viper in this snakes nest of a Capital. My heart ached and feelings of Robb came rushing back. I needed him! In Winterfell I hide those feelings deep inside because I was scared of what would happen. But now the worst was happening.

"Do you want something from me, My Lord?" I said with a straight face, monotone, playing Renly's game with him.

"Not yet, dear sweet Isabel, but remember where your loyalties lie." Renly finished his wine and motioned for me to join him. It was time for court to be held, and today was the day Renly announced our plans for marriage in only a few short weeks to the court. I felt sick, dizzy and simply powerless. All because I am a women. Pushed around and sold like a mare, made to do whatever men command. And I am truly sick of it.