Part 8 ~ Isobel

Mother had spent ages braiding my hair, making it just perfect so I had two long braids down either side that joined into one, and lay on top of my long wavy hair. My dress was white with a navy blue bodice. I loved this dress and had been so excited to wear it! But now, I was over burdened with confusion and anger. How could Jacob kiss me like I was some kitchen wench he and Asher chased around.

My mother was was sitting behind Prim, braiding her hair.

"Isabel, my darling, why are you so tense? You haven't enjoy yourself since we arrived!"

I snapped out of my day dream when my mother spoke, I realised I had been staring into the fire, watching the flames dance.

"Rodrick told me I am to marry, is it true? Is it Robb Stark?"

My mother quickly finished Prim's hair and came over to me, she hugged me dearly and comforted me. I relaxed into my mothers arms and she stroked my hair.

"I love you Issy, so does your father. But you know it is a women responsibility to marry, as it is your fathers to make the right decision for our house. Marriage does not always mean love at first, but feelings can develop."

I just nodded in reply, I wasn't even that concerned about Robb, he was handsome, funny, kid and caring. He loved animals just as much as I did and didn't care that I liked to train and ride and do things my mother deemed 'un-lady like'. We would have a great life together, wonderful black haired children, who would group up close to Rodrick and Asher children. So... what was my problem? Why was I not happy? 

A horn blared in the distance and my mother let go with a sudden shock of excitement.

"It's time! You are going to meet the King and the Queen! Remember what I  taught you girls!" She was beaming with excitement like when she discovered she was pregnant with Prim and Ryan.

The courtyard was full of people, from other lords and guests to servants and small folks. The Starks were front and centre, preparing to greet the royal family. We were behind another row of Stark men, including Ser Cassel and Maester Luwin. Robb turned to me and smiled a kind smile, I smiled back before looking down at my feet. I could feel Rodrick's eyes on me and Asher gave me a nudge on the other side. As I looked at him I caught Jacob looking at me, he was also grinning, I suddenly felt uncomfortable and stiffened up like a board, Asher and Rodrick could sense this, as Rodrick looked up and caught Jacobs eye, suddenly confused. Before Asher could look, horses arrived in the courtyard.

The King had dismounted and we all bowed to him, as we rose again him and Lord Stark embraced each other in a strong hug, both grinning and laughing. King Robert caught a glimpse of my father.

"Gregor you bastard get up here, you always were too comfortable hiding at the back" the king laughed, his voice bellowed as my father joined Lord Stark in greeting King Robert. The rest of the royal family had been welcomed and begun flowing into the great hall again. She had seen Cersei Lannister and her twin Jamie, the royal prince and his siblings and Renly Baratheon, Roberts brother.

Someone had grabbed Isabel's elbow and lead her from the crowd entering the hall. "Please don't let it be Jacob!" she pleaded to herself panicked and confused.

When she turned, Robb Stark was beaming down at her! His gorgeous brown eyes were staring into her soul. She instantly relaxed, and was surrounded by great memories of playing with Robb, as well as the events at Lord Tully's tournament.

"You have been avoiding me" he smirked, half joking but half serious, in his heavy northern accent. She could sense he was a little hurt. When Robb had greeted her arrival, he had grabbed her and hugged her infront of bother there families, spinning her around. No one had minded, they were good friends since they were children, but now Isabel knew there was more to it. But, when Robb had offered to show Isabel to her chambers, her brothers had smirked and elbowed each other. When we were alone, Robb grabbed me pulling me into his embrace. He kissed me strongly, greedily, full of passion and desire. He kissed my neck as he held my face in his hands. And I had kissed him back. I had missed him dearly, but I had not realised how much until just now. He grabbed at my dress, pulling me closer as he pinned me against the door when we were interrupted by a young maid, coming to light my fire.  Robb's breathing was heavy and he was clearly frustrated, I just smiled at him and giggled until he loosened up.

"Not on purpose Robb, there is just a lot of things I am thinking about" he didn't look convinced. I smiled trying to make him happy "besides its impossible to avoid you in your own castle" He grinned and I knew he wasn't hurt anymore, he always had been understanding.

"Well its not quite my castle yet" He said as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. His fingers lightly grazed my face sending a shiver down my spine. He was watching me so deeply, as if I was a puzzle for him to solve, I felt my face going red. "I really have missed you Issy".

"Well you don't have to anymore because I am here aren't I" I could feel my face smiling up at him involuntarily. I was flattered by his confession. He leaned in and placed a simple yet touching kiss on my cheek.

I heard foot steps approaching and my eyes widened with panic, Robb stayed relaxed, I mean they hadn't really done anything wrong. What if her mother had come looking for her, she would not approve. Or her father, although why should they care if they were planning on marrying her off to him anyway. If it was Asher or Rodrick, they would probably encourage there sister they were after all Robb's friends.

"Jon, you startled us" Robb grinned at his half brother.

Jon Snow grinned back "Come on you too everyone will be looking for you."

They walked into the hall together, Robb holding Isabel's hand. From behind the armoury in the courtyard, Jacob appeared. He had been listening to every word. He was unable to stop thinking about Isabel, even thought he knew it was wrong. He entered the hall unseen, as he had been in the armoury.