Part 27 ~ Rodrick

It was now dawn, and the exhausting night was not over yet. The horses were saddled, the men ready to march. We had left Renly's camp in a hurry, before anyone was aware of their King's death. But now we were on the march back towards the horror, and we were hoping it was a rabbling mess. A good portion of the men at Renly's camp would be Northerners - family's sworn to the Forrester's who followed Father in our time of need. We were unable to get everyone out last night without arousing suspicion and on short notice. So now we were going back, not just for the men, but for the Ironwood. Five wagon loads had been delievered from Ironwrath only a few days ago, craftsmen were now forging them into various weapons of war. Weapons for Robb now.

Robb was as galant as ever, riding upon a black warhorse, he was fashioned in strong dark iron plating with bold dire wolf blazed across his chest. His own dire wolf, Greywind, followed him closely, circling impatiently for the forthcoming battle. Next to him, his commanders own horses stirred nervously in the present of the wolf, not that Robb noticed, or cared. Beside him rode Addam Forrester in his clean, silver battle armour, and his newly forged steel sword. The other side, I sat uncomfortably on a golden stallion, my own armour still covered in mud and blood from last night. My hair too long for my liking, but I pulled the dirty black locks back and tided it out the way. My beard was also out of control, much like my emotions.

"I'm glad to have you by my side, brother." Robb was smiling at me, a tinge of sadness crossed his face before he road forward to command his army. We were at Renly's camp. It was abysmal, horses running wild, men screaming and yelling, fires blazing wildly and out of control. It was just as we had hoped. On command Robb drove forward his men and rode into battle. Men were joining in formation in front of Renly's camp, spilling out onto the green field as planned. There was fighting from within them, Northern men who had seen the banners and heard the drums.

It was a long and gruelling afternoon of battle, at some point I dismounted and trudged across the bloody field as I swung my Father's sword through different men. I saw all of their faces, as I ended their lives. I caught an arrow in the shoulder, at least not on my sword arm, Asher came rushing to my side to break off the end. He was covered in blood, even his face. He had been with the infantry men, leading from the ground. We battled side by side, our swords grinding as they met steel with flashes and sparks, before meeting skin and bones, with cries for help.

The enemys thinned out, the battlefield an explosion on bodies, the grass now painted scarlet. There were still the sounds of men suffering, as they died slowly from their wounds, calling for there mother. Me and Asher dragged ourself back to the men, we were tired, bodies aching but glad to be alive.

"We have done the right thing Ash, I know father would be proud of us." I tried to console him, our father's death still feeling raw, for us both. Asher could hardly look at me, without a tear gracing his eyes. He only smiled and hugged me.

"I only hope we can do right by Isobel, what she did.... won't be easy to forget." Asher's voice was saddened by the thought of his dead twin. He was right, she had murdered someone and ended another life. Robb had heard of how Isobel had saved us, and ended Jakob's life to ease his suffering. Louise did not care to hear, neither her brother Addam. Both of them had barely looked or spoke to Asher or me. My sweet Louise, it was painful to watch her kiss Robb farewell this morning, yet she could not bear the sight of me. I did not blame her, her own feelings still fresh and bleeding.

Robb galloped up to us, a smile blazed across his face like the sun across the sky. His armour sprayed with the blood of his enemys. His blade still wet with the life he had drained. Addam was still proudly, and arrogantly, riding beside him like a shadow. His armour hardly touched, unsurprisingly, he was the kind to issue commands rather than lead in battle. Greywind was close by, Asher was chuckling at the sight of him. Paws soaked, muzzle bloodied and moving slowly - belly full.

"Are you alright men? Rodrick, your shoulder!" Robb was worried but his face un phased and overwhelmed with victory and pride.

"Will heal your Grace,  I'll see the maester when we return to camp." I still had my arm around Asher's neck. I was leaning on him more than I cared to admit, but my arm was aching and my fingers numb.

"I'll send one of my maester to see you on our return Rodrick" I nodded a thanks to Robb, I wasn't one to refuse good medical care. Robb continued "We celebrate tonight, come to my tent, bring your sisters."

Addam spoke up, his voice annoyed "My king, my sister, your Queen would not feel comfortable..."

Robb interrupted "The future Queen" Robb reminded Addam, throwing a scowl over his shoulder at him. " Your King commands it men!" Robb was looking back at us, grinning cheekily again. With that he galloped off, Addam pulled up his reigns and galloped off behind him. Asher could only shake his head.

"That boys got a bigger stick up his arse that you do, Lord Forrester." Asher laughed, poking me in the side. I chuckled back, but my laughter met with sharp, stabbing pain in my shoulder. I could only breath to control it. Asher watched me concerned, and leaned in further, to bear more of my weight. We were brothers, with an unspoken code, I didn't need to ask for him help.

Back at Robb's camp, the air was alive and wild. The wine and ale already flowing, the songs of battle been written and played. The young squires were down by the river, cleaning clothing, armour and weapons. The river running red, with blood. Me and Asher were both exhausted, looking forward to a bath and bed, before joining Robb. But first we had to check on Isobel.

We shared a large pavilion guarded by four loyal Forrester men. The entrance met a great roaring fire, keeping our sisters warm, surrounded by comfortable seating with animal furs draped over. There was a large table, bookcase and a harp. Isobel could play, not that she would. To the right, me and Asher slept in two singular beds, and to the right Isobel and Prim shared a large bed for two. Prim was on the seating, laughing with the guards men, Eric. When she saw us she came running, her arms flung out and attacking us both. We both puffed with exhaustion and pain.

"I am so glad you are both okay, Ill ask the handmaid to draw you a bath and fix up some food." Prim was giddy, she was growing into a proper little lady, taking care of her brothers. We both kissed her on the head. Asher realised me to her hold and I placed a gentle kiss on her head, I couldn't put all my weight on her but I let her think she was carrying me over to the seating. Asher grabbed two jugs of ale and brought them over, the beer was sweet and cool as I chugged it down quickly.

Asher smiled at Prim sweetly " Your sister?" I watched Prim closely, we didn't want her concern her. But her face said it all, she was suddenly overwhelmed with sadness, and could only shake her head at her brothers. Asher rose immediately, and made his way to her room. I pulled Prim close and petted her hair until food and more ale arrived.