Part 28 ~ Asher

I could hear Prim beginning to laugh with Rodrick again, he always could make her smile. The handmaid Robb had sent to tend to the girls was one of the Queens. I don't imagine she was pleased about it, but Robb was King. The girl was cute, pretty even, maybe ten and nine years old, she had a sweet smile and short auburn hair. Her voice was calm, and she could sing a beautiful tune. She brought Rodrick plate after plate of food, followed by more ale, he smiled and nodded at her. Wasted opportunity to flirt if you asked me.

"Isobel?" I spoke gently, as I entered her cold dark room. She had blown out the candles, and used the thick curtain to block out the heat from the fire. As I pushed it aside to enter I squinted my eyes, taking several seconds to adjust. I couldn't see her, I could see plates of food still full. A jug of water which had not been touched. I moved to the bed and the curled up lump that occupied the middle of it. I sat down gently next to her, she was staring dead ahead, eyes glazed. She was trembling so gently, I only noticed when I placed my hand on her shoulder.

"Isobel" This time my voice was direct and full of concern. I didn't even know how I could begin to help her. She looked up at me slowly, her eyes blinking at me, as if in a dream state. I looked at her, willing her to feel better. I pulled back her covers, she was rubbing her hand together as if trying to wash them. Trying to wash where the blood had been.

I exhaled deeply, my breath shaking, I didn't know if I was going to be able to find my voice.

"You did the right thing, I know it, Rodrick knows it, Robb will know it. You saved us all and you avenged Father. You are strong Issy." I voice was pushing her, willing her to feel better.

"Hell, your stronger than me. You avenged our Father." I shook my head with pride, the words sticking in my throat and the pain still fresh. "I will always protect you, nothing like that will ever happen again. I can help you overcome this. You are strong. You are a Forester, Iron from Ice."

Tears were rolling down her cheeks, but she nodded at me. She pushed herself up so she was sitting next to me. Her body still slow, bruised and as aching as mine. She leaned over into me, her sobs were weak and tears soaking my neck. I held her, my brave twin. I don't know how long we sat there in silence, simply helping each other to heal from our pain and grief. Rodrick was calling me, Isobel raised her head and looked at me. Her face red and puffy from the tears, but still my sister. I smiled at her and took her hand. Leading her to our siblings.

When we walked out, the heat hit me immediately, and so did the surprise of seeing Robb. He had brought his maester himself. I was confused, surely he had better things to do. Rodrick was chatting and pulling faces as the maester pulled at his arm. Robb had cleaned up nicely, the blood and grime gone. His beard freshly groomed and wearing a white top, hanging off his body and casual quilted brown riding trousers. He had helped himself to ale as he chatted to Prim, who was beaming up at him, and his new shiny black crown. The metal dark, sharp and pointed the entire way around, with blazing rubies embedded in the front. As we entered, we drew all the attention. Robb's smile disappeared as he saw Isobel over his shoulder. Rodrick was watching her too.

In the light of the room, everyone could see her, all of her. Her face was bruised badly, black under the eye and nose, her lip and forehead had an open gouge in them the blood still dry around it. Her body was the same, it looked weaker and damaged from the bashings Renly had been giving her, She was thinner than usual, but mostly, her whole demeanour was off. She was not her usual happy, pleasant self. She was hollow, feeling no pleasure and lost hope. Her head was so heavy with guilt that no one was able to share with her. Robb looked at her with concern and pity, which frustrated me. Because she was so strong.

I watched Isobel force herself forward, trying desperately to ignore Robb's gaze. She made her way to Rodrick, who was reaching out for her. She kissed his forehead as Rod had done to Prim. The maester smiled a kind but pitiful smile at Isobel and continued on with Rodrick's wounds. I joined Robb with a drink as Isobel sat next to Rodrick, as he told her of the days battle.

I joined Robb for a drink, he had not taken his eyes off her. "How is she?" he asked in a serous tone, in-between drinks. Prim had joined Isobel on the couches and played with her sisters hair.

"You could ask her yourself Robb, unless your scared of her." I challenged him, as I watched my sister force food in her mouth from Rodrick's plate. Robb was shaking his head and turned away, leaning over the table his back to the rest, I joined him. I could tell her was troubled and waited for him to open up.

"She killed two people." Robb was still in shock.

"Aye one who would have killed us, and one for mercy." I quickly answered, my voice a little to loud, as I looked over my shoulder I could see Isobel's head twitching as she overheard.

"Louise... she wants Isobel to have a trial, for her ... actions." Robb kept drinking, his voice weary.

I slammed down my ale, spilling most of it over the table. I was raging like a bull, I could feel it building up inside me.

"and what do you want... Your Grace?" I almost spat the words at him, so much for loving Isobel. He was supposed to be the King, yet he was letting the Raeside's make such demands. He sounded powerless, yet he was the most powerful man in the North.

Robb was shaking his head, he was angry too "I wish it were that simple Asher, you know how I have always felt about Isobel, and out of respect of that, and your family, I will grant her a royal pardon. But now what?" He scoffed, not because it was funny, but because he had a genuine heartbreaking dilemma.

"I cannot have my first love alongside a new one. I cannot have two Queens and as King, I must keep my word. " He was looking over his shoulder at Isobel now, his voice bitter and full of regret.

"Then keep your word Your Grace, my sister had been through enough. You cannot play with her, make your choice and send Isobel home so that she can find peace with other Mother, and perhaps a man willing to fight for her." I was surprised at how harsh my words were, leaving Robb at the table I made my way to my room. Rodrick nodded at me, but I was so angry I struggled to do anything other than storm away. Isobel and Prim pretended not to witness me, too caught up braiding each others hair. Poor Rodrick's hair was getting so long Prim was begging to braid his next.