Part 5 ~ Isobel

It was four days ride to Winterfell and we were only hours away now. I was buzzing with excitement and nerves. Mother, Prim and Ryon where in a carriage in the middle of the group. Mother insisted I joined them but I where was the fun in that. When I put on my black riding trousers and my long royal blue cape, my mother was outraged. Ladies do not ride when they can sit in comfort - she had told me. I defied my mother, just to taste freedom, even the smallest amounts. Luckly my father was kind and overlooked my "insolence", as mother would say. 

Father and Rodrick lead in front, followed by myself on Storm. My beautiful black mare all the way from Dorne. The best name day present I ever received from my parents. She was fast and hot blooded and needed a strong rider to control her. Asher and Jakob rode beside me, laughing and signing as they always do. When we stayed at the inn last night, Asher had sat up all night drinking with the locals and even took the tavern wench to bed. I was surprised he was able to sit up on his horse this morning. And the poor girl could hardly sit down, well according to Jakob's stories over breakfast, which neither him nor Ash considered might be uncomfortable for me. Me an Asher were inseparable even as we became adults. I felt bad for Rodrick, I knew he was lonely and felt left out by Asher. I rode up beside him and father.

"How much further Rodrick?"

"Not far, maybe an hour tops." He replies stern and monotoned. I pulled up closer to him and whispered - "Do you wanna race?"

He returned with such a serious look as if he was disappointed in me.

"Oh..." he huffed " YOU BETTER GET A MOVE ON!"

Before I even realised Rodrick was racing off into the distance, laughing and hollering. I kicked Storm into speed and followed up behind him. I could here father laughing and Asher shouting, I knew he now felt left out. Not that it bothered me. My cloak flew out behind me like wings on the wind, and all I could hear was the heavy hoofs beating off the ground, and my heart pounding in my ear. I urged Storm on, faster and faster, the adrenaline overpowering my system as we weaved between trees and rocks

I caught up with Rodrick and accepted defeat, this time! He was smiling like I hadn't seen in so long. It was nice to just be the two of us riding through the forrest.We brought the horses to a walk, and enjoyed the views of the sun shining through the clustered green trees above us. 

Rodrick smiled at me "So Issy, your going to see Robb again, are you nervous?"

I felt my face going red and I was lost for words "Robb... yes... well it has been almost a year since being at the tournament for Lord Tully's birthday. I wish I never told you anything! " I tried facing away from him, but I could feel his gaze over me, watching my reaction. 

Rodrick just kept grinning at me "Dear sister, your lucky you told me and not Asher!" Rodrick bellowed laugher at the thought "Then you would be in trouble, sent to join the silent sisters no doubt! Besides, I would have got it out of Robb eventually! He can't help but talk about you! You know I over heard Father and Maester, they want you to marry soon."

I just stared ahead of me now, not knowing how to feel or respond. I knew this day would come, and I would do what was asked of me. Marrying Robb Stark? I should be happy! I knew my friend Louise had been promised to an older Lord from the Reach, old enough to be her father. At least I knew Robb, since our families were close.

"Anyway, what about you? Who are YOU getting to marry?" I joked with Rodrick, even if I knew it wasn't going to be his choice. As I watch sadness change his face to cold and stern again, I remembered  he also knew, we would not get to choose who we married. First born son and daughter, we knew our responsibilities to our house, if we were Targaryens we would have married each other hundreds of years ago. The thought gave me a shudder down my spine, it must have been noticeable as Rodricks gazed was confused. Almost as confused as I felt about marrying Robb Stark.  

I change the subject to Ryon and Prim, knowing how much Rod loved them. The rest of the ride we shared stories from when we were kids, laughed about Asher and talked about meeting the king.

Before nightfall we arrived upon the gates of Winterfell. I was shaking by now, with nerves. As we entered the courtyard and began to climb off out horses, Rodrick grabbed my hands. He could see I was nervous and I was happy to accept him comforting me. 

"Don't worry, its going to be great! Forget what I told you earlier, lets try have fun. I can stay by your side the entire time." He smiled a kind smile at me. Yes I was close to Asher, but Rodrick was a great brother too, and a healthy parallel. Where one was wild, the other tame. One sensible, the other careless. Easy to know who is who. But both of them reliable.

We were greeted by Ser Cassel, who shook my fathers hand firmly and kissed my mother on the cheek. They exchanged quick pleasantries and a fond memory or two while he lead us into the Great Hall of Winterfell. It was just the family now, I left Storm in Jakobs care as I knew she wouldn't trust a stranger in a foreign stable. Jakob winked at me and commented about how only he was strong enough to handle such a mare. I rolled my eyes and warned him she bites!

The Starks were standing at the top of the hall, lead by Lord Eddard, they came down to greet us. Lord Stark was tall, broad and the years had aged his hair and beard. His face was serious, until he saw my father approaching. They embraced each other in a strong hug, slapping each other on the back. Like brothers who had not been apart. I gazed upon Lady Catelyn, a kind hearted women with a gentle voice and touch. Beside her were her daughters, I remembered Sansa, she had grown into a beautiful Lady, she looked polished and perfect. I guessed Arya was the younger girl, so different from her sister, her hair a mess, her face torn I guess by being forced to wear a dress... I knew that feeling and smiled to myself. My eyes wandered amongst the welcoming party.

And there he was... the man I hadn't been able to stop thinking about.