Part 21 ~ Rodrick

My father had called the banners, as Robb had asked. But now we were torn, we had to march half the northern army south - to Renly and Isobel. It was a difficult decision for my father, I watched how it crushed him to deny Robb, but for his children he would do whatever was necessary.  When Lord Gregor Forrester had arrived at Winterfell, Louise was with him. I was so excited to see her, I ran to her and embraced her in a hug, leaning my forehead against hers. She was cold and heartless, not reciprocating any of the warmth I was unloading on her presence.

"I am not here for you Rodrick." The words took me back, and I followed her gaze to Robb. Her fiance, a key move for Robb to secure men for his northern army. It crushed me inside, my heart shattered into a thousand pieces. Robb could have warned me, I stared at him, but he kept his head low almost shameful - it felt like a betrayal, and he was acting guilty.

We had arrived in Renly's encampment almost 3 weeks ago now, and it was as if know one had told these men they were at war. There was music, fighting and alcohol. No training and no order or command. My father was furious he had risked betraying the Stark's, and his oldest friend for this rabble. Renly was giddy as ever, spent more time drinking and hosting dinners, than planning his next move.

It was such a relief to see my sisters, Prim as sweet as always, and Isobel. Poor Isobel, she was crushed, especially when I told her Robb was marrying her closest friend. She shared my hearthache and pain. Her soul was being destroyed from the inside, the longer she was stranded in this false reality with Renly, the more of herself she was loosing. Her eyes had lost there character, it was like looking into a dark void. I only prayed she hadn't given up all hope, because neither me nor Asher had.

We had been planning and plotting since our arrival, back and forth we sent ravens North in secret code. Our goal was to take the girls and the army and head back North, to Robb. We had to absolve Renly and Isobel's marriage, which was the trickiest part. Everything we did, we did with purpose, to ensure Renly or Jakob were not on to us. Since the latest raven from King's Landing only yesterday, our mission had become imperative and we did not have much time.

Eddard Stark was dead. And Robb was crowned King in the North.

Our Father has been distraught at the news, releasing his angry on a group of men he was training. The poor lads had met the wrath of his sword, most of them knocked out and even a broken nose or two. His anger drove him to a dark place, which showed little hope of return. His brothers were dead, and he could not avoid the overhanging urge, that he was next.

Later that evening:

In the Kings tent, Renly was at the top of his table, wrapped in fine clothes and cloaks, drinking the best Arbour Red. Isobel stood beside him, in yet another gorgeous dress, the diamonds in her crown alone could have fed them for a year. Isobel was pale and thin, she looked sickly almost,  apart from the purple bruising to her arms, even her face. She had tried to cover for her father and brothers and Prim, but there was no denying the abuse she was suffering at the hands of Renly and Jakob. Despite being Queen, Isobel and our family felt powerless - after all he was King. As he so often reminded them all.

My father was practically interrogating Renly. Asking him what he planned to do about the Lannisters? If he was going to avenge Ned - his brothers best friend? If he had ANY plans at all? Because as far as my father could see he planned to sit on the cliff side and feast, wasting money and food. Gregor was slamming his hands down on the table in angst, shouting in Renlys face. Jakob had moved in to remove father, flashing the silver of his blade in warning. My father only scowls in disgust at Renly's new pet dog.

If Renly was threatened by my father he did not let it show. Calmly as ever he rose from his chair and took my sisters hand and kissed it gently, he then guided her over to the fire place, where there was a collection of chairs for us all. We all sat, as the King had instructed. Asher was tapping his foot, nervous like I had never seen him before. I could practically see the steam rising from my father, enraged Renly was instructing him like such a child. So it was up to me to keep a level head.

"Gregor, I sympathise with you I do. Ned Stark's death is a tragic injustice. Yes, I will avenge him if I can. But my priority is MY reign." Isobel was studying the King hard, waiting with baited breath for him to continue.

"I have made plans - though it may surprise you I have done more than sit on a mountain side. The Lannister's are busy with crowning Jeoffrey and worrying about my brother Stannis. I wrote to the supposed "King in the North" Renly paused, knowing this would gain a reaction from us. Everyone was watching him now.

"I told him to join me, defeat the Lannister's and bend the knee. The Stark's would remain Wardens of the North. I will not lose 1/7 of my country to some rebellion." Renly spat the word out like ill tasting wine.

Isobel was the first to speak " What did Robb say?" her voice was different. Powerful again, full of fire and intent. She was alive behind those eyes.

"No. He said no."

And then all seven hells broke loose.