Part 17 ~ Isobel

I awoke in a stranger chamber, I blinked my eyes as they adjusted to the light. My head was still fuzzy and my vision blurry.  A maid was dabbing my head with a cool cloth. I slowly sat up on my elbows, groaning all the way. The handmaiden aided me and supported me sitting.

"My lady, I am glad to see you are looking much better." Renly was sitting by the fireplace with his back turned to me and a book in his hand. I recognised this room ... Renly's chambers. I flushed with panic and tried climb out the bed, the maid tried to slow me down telling me I had hit my head hard last night.

"Isabel, are you quite alright? What happened last night?" Renly's voice was full of concern and comfort - but I could see through him now. He would just as quickly sacrifice me for his own happiness. He was now kneeling down infront of me as I sat over the edge of the bed, blocking my path.

"Renly, may I please return to my chambers? I do not feel well at all my Lord." My heart was racing as if he could hear my thought.

He questioned me again about what I was doing, why was I up, he tried to keep his voice calm and concerned but I could sense the frustration underneath.

"My twin Asher, he used to get nightmares as a boy, sometime I got them too..." I thought I would play his game now, I felt brave for once... "I had an awful dream last night you see, that I was betrayed, by not one but two people I trust very much. I was alone in a city I did not belong. And I was destined to a life of loveless unhappiness so that men could thrive in such areas."

This took Renly by surprise, so much so he stood up and turned his back. He dismissed the maid.

"My, you are a smart girl, Jakob was right". His arms crossed and tapping his fingers against his lip.

"This changes nothing, my dear, infact we should marry sooner." Renly clapped his arms, pleased with himself. "Lets just have a private ceremony, how about tomorrow?!" He was happy with his decision, I was not.

Close to tears I stood up and headed for the door. He caught the door opening and slammed it shut again.

"You missed one thing out my smart girl, its not just about Jakob, I need your Ironwood forest, all of it and of course the men of the north, half of the forces pledged to the Starks should do me."

"Well then if only you tricked Rodrick into loving you! Because he is the only one with that power!" I yelled in his face. Without hesitation Renly slapped me across the cheek. I was shocked, the breath knocked out of me, I staggered against the door.

"We do not choose the ones we love my dear girl. Forgive me that was unkind of me, I should never have stricked you, that was un kingly of me. However, you do stir a certain fire within me. Just remember you will be MY wife, and your sister is my guest."

Kingly?! Renly was no king. Jakob had called him that last night, could that be his plan. Renly is conspiring against his own brother for the throne. Renly's eyes where burning  wild with desire, but not for Isabel, but for the thought of power.

"Your crazed!" I said almost laughing. "I thought you an honourable man, a friend, but you are using me!"

"Isabel, please I wanted us to be friends, I was going to tell you my plans." The swap to my face forgot, his false character back. He held my hands, tight so I couldn't let go. 

"I am going hunting with my brother, and when I return I well present you with fresh wolf pelts as a wedding gift, for you will be my wife. Until then you can stay in my chambers, I will send for Prim." He was smiling without a care in the world, he leaned in to kiss me on the cheek. I was almost paralysed in disbelief. He turned and left.

Shortly after Becca brought Prim to me, she came running straight into my arms. Held her so tightly I was worried I would break her, her hair smelled of fresh perfumes, her dress and lovely blue silk, close to my own which didn't surprise me. She had no idea what was going on, she was so excited to be sharing Renly's chambers now. The rest of the day we played games, I braided her hair and we sang songs to each other. I never let her far from my reach. She was my comfort at this awful time. I wish I could fully confide in her, but she did not deserve that burden and fear of the unknown.

During the night there was heavy banging on the door, I woke immediately. I was cuddling Prim, and tried to shush her back to sleep. The door battered open just as I was putting on my dressing gown, Renly stormed in, Jakob close behind. Both of them panic stricken, faces red and behaving frantically.

Renly was in my personal space within seconds, I was gazing at the bloody patches confused, but mostly terrified. He grabbed my arms he was out of breath, his eyes red and puffy as if he had been crying, he could not look at me.

"We are leaving, now! Wake Prim."

Jakob was frantically packing items and grabbing things from Renly's room. I was bewildered, unable to process what I was being told. Prim had stirred as Jakob lifted her out the bed, she was rubbing her eyes and began moaning. Jakob ended up carrying her as she dozed on his shoulder. I was terrified - did I know too much? Was Renly's plan to marry me in the middle of the night? Then get rid of me? All I could focus on was my heart beating in my ears.

"NOW Isobel!" Renly shouted at me, shaking me back to reality.

"Put Prim down Jakob! we are not going anywhere..." Jakob cut me off, he came close and kept his voice low.

"Please Issy this is no joke, we only have a short window, put on riding wear and a cloak." I don't know why, given everything the had happened, somewhere I still trusted Jakob, maybe because I was terrified and he was the only familiar face. So I listened, within minutes I had put on all black from head to toe, with a long black hooded cape.

"If we are doing... whatever this is... give me Prim, I will carry her." There was no time for disagreements and arguing, Jakob handed her over and I wrapped her underneath my cloak. She had her eyes squeezed shut, I knew she was awake but she was just scared... so was I.

"Prim you have nothing to fear, you know I will protect you, and Jakob has always protected you. Renly is the kings brother, there is no safer place to be than with us." I whispered to her, she did not reply but lightly nodded against my shoulder. Me, Renly and Jakob put our hoods up and headed down the corridor. There were armoured men waiting outside the door, the corridors were dark, all the torches had been doused. The party walked quickly and quietly, we made it to the stables. Outside was even darker, the only light from the sparkling stars above. I gazed at them for a moment, wishing I was that far away. The guard towers looked empty, the torches not lit.

I stopped in my tracks when I saw all the mounted horses, there must have been 30 and in the middle ... "Storm" I whispered, I was so surprised and thrilled to see her. I felt at home and I knew I was about to feel free. Jakob was beside me.

"Renly had him brought up for you, here I'll help you mount up with Prim." I accepted his help as I had no choice really. Prim sat in front of me, cowering into me and quiet as a mouse. I petted her hair and kissed her head.

"Its and adventure for us Prim!" I tried to sound reassuring and excited. But I don't think she bought it.

Jakob rode beside me and lead me to the front with Renly.

"So... who's going to tell me what happened?" I was tired, shaken with fear and trying to be brave and strong for my sister. I have had enough of men, ordering me about.

"We must get clear of King's Landing. King Robert is dead." And with that, Renly kicked his horse into speed and the group followed. I had no problem keeping up on Storm plus my body was burning with adrenaline, and I felt the false illusion of breaking free of my chains, for a short period of time anyway.