Part 30 ~ Rodrick

The camp was buzzing with excitement of Robb's victory. Both myself Asher and Isobel were late to the celebrations in the Royal tent. Asher's loud snoring and faint music had awoken me, it took several minutes for my eyes to adjust to the dim golden candle lighting the room. I shook Asher awake, he looked as dazed as me. We dressed quickly, in casual trousers and doublets baring the Forrester sigil and we both grabbed our heavy black woollen cloaks.

Prim was dancing around the fire with her guardsman and her handmaiden. She was wearing a beautiful purple dress with flowers weaved through her hair. She was smiling and laughing - it was nice to see and made me smile. Her handmaiden told me Isobel was bathing but would be ready soon. I was surprised to here she was joining us, but was glad to think she was feeling better.

Our fathers death was still fresh in my head and in my heart, weighing around my neck like an unbreakable iron chain. Asher emerged dressed, and headed straight for the ale. Isobel finally joined us, her hair pulled back and tied, but flowed over her shoulders. Her shoulders were bare, her red and gold dress hugging her body as it cascaded to the floor.

"It was the only dress I could grab that didn't..." She trailed off nervously thinking of her blood stained clothes.

"A toast before we go" Asher quickly changed the subject, grabbing another ale for me and wine for Isobel. We gathered around the fire together. Isobel looked almost happy, relaxed. She had managed to cover some damage to her body, but some was too blackened or fresh still.

"Robb had a great victory today, but so did we. Iron from Ice." I kept it simple but spoke true.

"Iron from Ice." everyone replied - the sacred motto of House Forrester. We each chinned our drinks down and we kissed Prim goodbye for the evening. Asher gave Isobel his cloak as her own was also bloodied. A painful memory she seemed to constantly be reliving. But since Robb's late visit, she seemed lighter - more at ease. If she could, we all could.

Robb's tent was overflowing with High Lords and Commanders all shouting and drinking as tales of the battle spread. The celebrations extended way beyond the tent as men ate, drank, danced and sang through the entire encampment. I almost felt sorry for those on watch tonight, missing all the fun. Robb was sitting around a great indoor fire on cushioned seating, Louise close by his side laughing at everything he said to the men around him. When he saw us he smiled greatly, lightening my mood greatly. He shifted Louise away so he could greet us, her gaze followed his movement, but she herself did not move. She just drank her wine until her cup was empty, before handing her chalice off to have it refilled. Robb hugged me and Asher, he was drunk already, his eyes sparkling. He turned to Isobel and grabbed her, embracing her in a deep meaningful hug, which she reciprocated ten times. Awkwardly, I tried to avoid Louise's stares, but could almost feel her eyes burning holes into the back of my head. The tent was roasting, and before we knew it out cloaks were ditched and we were sitting with Robb around the fire joking and drinking. Isobel sat with Asher, but Louise left when we sat down. Not that Robb noticed, he was too busy fawning over Isobel.

Isobel noticed though and excused herself from the men, following Louise. She had relocated her bravery apparently. I followed from a distance, remembering their last encounter. Louise had excused herself to her bed chambers - in Robb's tent which sent a pang of bitterness into my heart. Isobel followed her quietly, trying not to attract attention. They were alone in the room, as I stood guard watching and unintentionally listening.

"Louise, I am sorry for your loss. Jakob..." Isobel was trying to be sweet but Louise cut her off.

"Do not say his name Isobel. You of all people, may NOT speak his name. I don't care if his Grace will not put you on trial." Louise's was drunk, her anger expressed perfectly in her red, torn face. She was flailing about, like a deer on ice, yet still managed to drink more wine.

"You are a murderer Isobel. Jakob loved you." Louise looked confused, puzzled and desperately trying to understand Isobels actions.

"I am a murderer, I have to live with that everyday. I see Renly's face everywhere. My hands still feel sticky with his blood." Isobel was getting uncomfortable, rubbing her hands again, where the blood had been. Louise just stared, her expression almost disgust and tears clouding her eyes.

"But I did not murder Jakob, I gave him peace, I showed him mercy. I ended his suffering. I've come to terms with that now." Louise continued to stare, face unchanged, tapping her foot impatiently. Isobel was pleading with her whole body, trying to make her understand.

"I need time to understand Isobel, I never thought you would be capable of this." Louise just looked tired now, tired of fighting. Isobel nodded at her appreciatively.

"There is something else Louise, I love Robb Stark. You know this."

Louise changed again, back to bitter and cruel as she spat at Isobel " Robb is mine. You were already married - before you stabbed him in the neck. You cannot just take what you want. I will be Queen"

The words hit Isobel hard as she squeezed her hands together, trying desperately not to fall apart. But still she tried to reason with her former friend. I don't know why, but now I wanted to say my peace. So in a crazy spur of the moment idea, I walked bravely into the lions den.

"Louise, you don't need to do this anymore, I love you." Isobel was taken back by my presence, silently moving to the back of the room, trying to take in this information. Louise was smiling at me, her eyes still filled with tears but she moved closer, placing her hand on my cheek. I covered it with mine and held her dearly, praying that this risk would pay off. She didn't know what to say, my eyes searched her own for the answers, but we were both lost.

"We could get married, just like we always dreamed about!" I couldn't help smiling and getting excited now, thinking about the future we could have. "We could all be happy, Isobel can be with Robb. You can be with me, forever. You don't love Robb, not like you love me." Now I was begging her with my eyes, to see our future and fight for it.

"It is a dream Rodrick, that is all." She was smiling falsely at me now, as her words were like thousands of knives lashing against me.

"Why?" was all I could say, my voice breaking.

Surprisingly it was Isobel who answered first.

"She doesn't want Robb, she wants to be Queen."

I started at Louise, pulling my hands off her. Had she really became so vain? So selfish? Isobel was pacing anxiously again.

"And the Queen is pregnant" Louise was still smiling expecting us to be ecstatic with the news. That sick twisted smile that now sent chills down my spine. She was holding her stomach. Isobel was pale, staring in shock as Robb walked in drunk as ever.

"What are you all doing in here?" He was cheerful drunk. But not for long.