Part 26 ~ Robb

We had anticipated war today, meaning I had not slept. I paced my chambers, filled with nerves, I had called my war chiefs to attend me in the very early hours. Louise was asleep in our bed, the fire roaring and Grey Wind at the foot of the bed, all keeping her warm. She was hidden from the commanders by tent partition. Nothing they were telling me was good news - Renly had more men, more horses and the advantage point on the field.

"My father told me northerns are worth ten southerners. Lets hope thats true today" I had to empower and encourage my commanders, but I did not have the strength, I myself was lost.

Lord Umber was breaking his fast with bread and sausages, even though the moon was still visible. "With me in the vanguard you have nothing to fear your Grace." He boasted between bites. "Us Umbers are worth twenty!" The other men including Lord's Karstark, Manderly, Bolton, Raeside and Braken all muttered in disagreement and laughed. Addam Raeside, Louise older brother, sat at his fathers side, leading their army.

Grey Wind had jumped off the bed and was circling the tent uneasy. A horn went off in the distance, a warning, someone was in the perimeter. The men all rose unexpectedly as scouts were shouting for the king. Grey Wind began howling uncontrollably. Outside there was men rising from rest, shouting each other awake, the clanging sound as the were grabbing armour and swords.

"What is going on!" Lord Umber demanded at no one in particular. A scout enter the tent rushed and panicked.

"Your Grace! Horses approaching from south, there is at least one hundred. The are not flying any banners, and they are not stopping"

I slammed my arms down on the table in frustration.

"Someone find out what in seven hells is going on, they cannot just ride into a armed camp!" I was fuming with rage. The commanders all nodded in agreement and muttered comments to each other. Louise was awake now, woken by the noise. She came to the table and joined at my side. She was wearing a fur cloak over her nightgown, her skin cold to touch.

"Robb, my love have faith." She draped her body over the side or my shoulder. I turned and kissed her head.

"How can I have faith when I can do simple maths, Renly could win, there is a surreal chance, what will happen to us then. I will not be King, my sisters will still be imprisoned." I shook my head, no point repeating the same story over and over again.

"Hush now Robb, you are King, you must lead these men. If you don't believe in them, how can they believe in you?" She made sense, she always made sense. She was calming me, giving me purpose again, purpose to fight. We were interrupted by the commanders again, they followed in, each looking as shocked as the last. None of them wanted to speak, each looking around still in disbelief.

I had waited long enough..."WELL?" I shouted at them, puzzled by there silence.

Rodrick Forrester pushed his way through the commanders, covered in blood, breathing heavily. Asher Forrester followed him. They knelt at my feet, both looking down trying to regain the breathes and strength.

"King Robb of the North! Renly Baratheon is dead. As you banner men we wish to join you in destroying the remainder of his forces and pledge our lives for yours."

I was in shock, surprised and overjoyed to see my brothers. I grabbed them both to there feet and embraced them each in a strong hug. Rodrick wheezed in pain and Asher was laughing. I held Asher at arms length, placing my other arm on Rodrick. When he caught sight of Louise he ran to her and she welcomed his strong embrace, she was as surprised as me to see them. Addam Raeside was watching cautiously at Rodrick hugging his sister, before welcoming him back himself.

"Renly is dead? Truthfully?" I could feel my face beaming at Asher. Good old Asher, he was covered in bruises and lashes, and smelt awful. But through it all his smile was strong.

"You did this?" I continued, overwhelmed with pride, and gratefulness.

"Not quite Your Grace."

Isobel walked into my tent, her face as beautiful as ever despite the black and blue damage and the bleeding wounds. Her eyes dazzling and piercing, looking souly at Robb, not acknowledging anyone else. Her face conveyed sadness and grief although at the sight of Robb she couldn't help but smile. Her dress and arms were a bloody mess, and it was now clear to me, it was his blood, Isobel was the one who had killed Renly.

I pushed Asher aside and he looked back to see Isobel. I was in front of her before I knew it, she began to kneel down but I grabbed her waist and pulled her into an embrace. She wrapped her arms around my neck. I didn't care in that moment what anyone thought, I was King and Isobel was going to be my Queen. I relaxed and pressed my forehead against hers, when my hand brushed her side she grimaced in pain. I held her upright, brushing her hair of her face. Her eyes were closed.

"You killed Renly? Why?" I whispered to her.

"He gave me a choice, I can only have one King, and I choose you Robb." Her voice was sad.

"Isobel" Louise spoke softly to her best friend, breaking us apart, Louise was pleased to see her.

Isobel made her way towards Louise welcoming embrace. But before she got close enough she stopped and could only stare down at her hands. Asher came to his twins side and held her upright and became her strength. Louise was confused, but I knew it was because I was with Louise. And I suddenly felt very guilty.

"Where is your father? Where is Gregor?" Addam Raeside changed the subject, which I was grateful for. I looked around puzzled, he was right Lord Forrester was not here.

"Dead." Asher's voice was cold and unforgiving. "Isobel avenged him when she killed Renly." He squeezed his sisters arm, her stare was fixed to the floor, awkwardly. Playing with her bloody hands.

"Where is our brother? Where is Jakob? The King is to forgive and pardon his crimes, if you have him prisoner, you can release him." Louise spoke commandingly. Rodrick reached out to comfort her, while looking back and forward between Asher and Isobel.

"I am so sorry... Jakob is dead." Rodrick replied, desperately trying to comfort his lover.

"How? Who killed him?" Louise began to cry, pulling herself away from Rodrick "ANSWER ME DAMN YOU"

Everyone was still and silent, like a crypt, when Isobel unexpectedly took a step towards Louise, she was rubbing the blood in her hands vigoursely, full of guilt.

"Me" her voice was so quite, I thought I had misheard.

Louise broke out in a fit of rage, slapping Isobel, cursing and screaming insults. Isobel stood and took it, as if she deserved it. Asher grabbed Isobel pulling her back and shielding her, but Louise kept coming for her. Addam grabbed his sister and looked at me begging for help. But I was torn, between Isobel and Louise.

But I had to be their King.

"Enough, take the Forrester to a place they can rest. Commanders stay with me, change of plans. Addam, take your sister to bed and stay with her."

They each muttered "Your Grace" as they went about there business. Asher lead Isobel out, holding her by the waist. Rodrick stayed, he was Lord Forrester now and he wanted to lead.

War was still upon us.