Part 32 ~ Isobel

Two weeks later

Robb had chosen his bride, his queen and his love. The decision had been crucial to his army and the war. So Robb did exactly what Isobel had told him - follow your heart and listen to your head. So Robb had headed to Riverrun with his army, for many a reason, he had to join forces with the Tully army, provided and lead by his uncle and for a wedding. The camp was flooded with excitement as the arrived at the ancient fortress of Riverrun. The men were tired of marching the muddy, swamp ridden Riverlands. The men his uncle Edmure contributed would bring him up to par with Jamie Lannister's host, who they intended on meeting within the week. Robb could not wait though, he wanted to secure his marriage and soon, as life was too short.

Today was the day, I had been waiting for all my life. Robb had chosen me, and my faith in him was some what restored. We still had to heal and mend from the lies he had told, but we were still madly in love with each other, and now we would have the rest of our lives together for this. Handmaidens were rushing around me, painting my face with makeup and pinning back my hair in intricate braids. My dress was white and navy blue - the colours of my house. The body hugged me tightly at every curve and flowed in a long train I was most certain I would trip over. The bodice was low, exposing the top of my breasts and was detailed with small blue and white beadwork. I felt like the Queen I was about to become.

"You look beautiful Issy" Asher was behind me, beaming at me. He looked very handsome himself. His hair had been cut short and his beard gone, freshly shaved. He also had a navy tunic with a white blouse with the Ironwood tree embalmed on the front. Prim followed in behind him, looking like a little princess. Her own dress was a beautiful burgundy red which matched well with her flowers tiara weaved through her hair. Rodrick followed in next, smiling with pride, he looked dashing, his hair still long but pulled back slick into a bun and his beard trimmed and shaped.

"Robb has a wedding present for you, for us all" Rodrick spoke, his voice filled with happiness and ease.

My mother carried Ryon into the room, her face was ablaze with the same happiness we all felt, but she looked older, wrinkles graced her pale skin. As always her hair was neatly pulled back, but her dress was grey and black, which only reminded us all that she was now a grieving widow. A sad smile crossed my face, as I was overwhelmed with feelings of guilt and grief all over again. My mother immediately handed Ryon to Asher and came to my side, brushing my hair off my face, smiling at me with nothing but love.

"I an so proud of you Isobel, you are everything I could ever have wanted you to be. Strong, brave and a fighter. Just like your Father. He would be so proud of you. All of you. We are fighters my girl." I nodded, trying to hold back the tears and not ruin my makeup. She pulled out her handkerchief I recognised, white with an Ironwood tree embroidered into it. She dabbed my eyes and my cheeks, all the time smiling at me.

"I am sorry." She began as her smile faded into sadness "Your father and I, we never should have let you marry Renly. King Robert asked for it, I believe now Renly and Jakob had planned it." She looked ashamed. "We always wanted you to be able to follow your heart with Robb."

"Now I can mother." I tried to reassure her that I was okay. I squeezed her hands tight, now she was began to weep so I passed back her handkerchief. She laughed and accepted it, now cleaning her own face. Jakob's face creeped into my memories like a dark shadow to ruin my happiness.

"You have paid an unimaginable price but." My mother's words sent a chill down my spine, over her shoulder Renly's cold, pale face stared at me, dragging my soul over the fire of guilt and fear over and over again. I looked down at my blooded hands in shock, I squeezed my eyes shut and when I opened them again, my hands were clean, Renly was gone.

"Alas, today is a day for celebration." My mother smiled again, her voice centring me. Ryon waddled over to climb on my lap. He smelled so sweet, like home. Oh how I had missed his little hand and feet. I held him tightly, as if he were my own. Because one day soon now I can imagine having a son of my own. Prim gifted to me a headband, much like her own fashioned out of beautiful white and navy painted roses.

Sweet music played a pleasant and holmly tune, as a female bard's voice blessed the hair with a northern classic song, about love. The seating in the hall was packed full of men and women of all stations and ranks. All of them looking galant and bold in their outfits. The aisle in between had a golden rug, with white and red rose petals, and golden pillars, with candlelight on top. At the end of the great hall of Riverrun, my brother Rodrick stood in place of my father, the maester and my love.

Robb had his curly hair brushing below his ears, his beard had been tamed and cut to highlight his beautiful jawline, he also had a simple iron and ruby crown resting on his head fashioned like sharp points. His most noticeable feature would be the smile, from ear to ear and his white teeth. As if this was the happiest day of his life. His tunic was black and quilted, with the dire wolf sigil over his chest. His trousers a smart fitted black and were his boots. As the guests rose, I walked slowly, telling myself to be brave, looking only at Robb, who's gaze did not falter.

The ceremony was everything I could have wanted from beginning to end . Robb made me feel strong, empowered and beautiful. We spoke the vows of the Old Gods and I become Isobel Stark. Not only did we marry, but I was crowned, my flower headband was removed as I knelt in front of the maester. He replaced it with a beautiful, sharp back iron crown with a daring red ruby embedded in the centre. When I rose back to my feet, Robb took my hand and all the Lords and Ladies bowed before their Queen.

Isobel Stark ~ Queen of the North.

The celebrations continued well into the early hours, we almost forgot we were at war. Robb stayed beside me the entire time, kissing me, hugging me, simply holding my hand. But I felt the love radiating out of him, certainly a better wedding than my first. We drank and ate, danced and sang. Everything just felt right. Asher was laughing, dancing with a pretty Tully girl, spinning her around in circles. Our mother looked on smirking, as my father would have, as she enjoyed Lady Catelyns company.  Rodrick was as gallant as ever dancing with young Prim, despite all the ladies trying to grab his attention. Not that it mattered now that Rodrick was engaged, to Louise - who's belly was starting to swell, as she sat alone in her chambers grinding her teeth and plotting her revenge. The only amicable arrangement that could mend the Starks, Forrester's and Ironsides, would be that if Louise bore Robb's bastard, Rodrick would accept and raise them as their own, if he was a boy he would grow to become Lord of Ironwrath, nephew of the King and Queen. Louise was the only one displeased with this, she carved chunks out her dining table maddeningly, staring only at the walls.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"