Part 24 ~Jakob

Almost two weeks had passed since Renly imprisoned the Forrester. I was walking on eggshells, avoiding him wherever possible. Even the slightest misstep could have them all killed. Renly had been focusing tirelessly on destroying Robb and the "Northern threat". I loved him, but I was terrified of him. He had killed Gregory Forrester without a second thought. Gregor had been like a father to me, he believed I was worth a second chance, that I could have some responsibility. I don't know what I had become - love had driven me mad - again. Now I was destroying my family.

War was upon us - scouts reckoned we were a days ride from Robb's encampment so Renly had made his own camp over a great green field - the perfect battle ground. I paced Renly's tent, the king was not here, busy with his war commanders planning for tomorrow. Isobel was asleep with Prim on top of the bed. Her skin pale, apart from the bruising and lashes across her beautiful face. I looked away in disgust, knowing I had done this. I had waited long enough, and walked over kneeling next to the bed. I tried to shake Isobel awake gently, when her eyes opened and she saw me she immediately panicked throwing her hands behind her to check on Prim. I threw my hands over her mouth and shooshed her quiet.

"Please don't Issy, I just want to explain!" Her eyes like angry, daggers now piercing my heart. "I am sorry." I continued, my voice was weak, I was fighting back breaking down to tears. I moved my hadn't away from her mouth, she made no intention of fleeing. But quick as a whip and sharp as a nail her hand slapped me across the face. My ears were ringing, I had to stretch my jaw but I said nothing. I deserved much worse. I looked back at her, she was breathing heavy, she hadn't realised she had been holding her breath before now. Her eyes were sparkling with tears.

"Your sorry? My father is DEAD" she spat the words at me with hatred "my brothers are hostages, my sister and I - prisoners. Your sorry? THIS IS YOUR FAULT. " She was yelling now, tears had started streaming down her face. Prim stirred beside her, but she put a strong hand on her sister, holding her down behind her. " I loved you like a brother, Ive known you all my life, you betrayed Asher, you betrayed me. Why?"

I was looking down, crying myself, my heart bleeding with shame for what I had done. I couldn't find the words

"We don't choose whom we love Isobel, Renly saved me, I owed him, hell I NEEDED him. I never knew it would come to this." I yearned for her to believe me, to forgive me.

"I can't forgive you Jake, but you can help us." her voice was desperate. I looked up at Isobel, she was shaking her head lightly, and I copied her. I would help them escape Renly. And then I would pray there are forgiving Gods.

It was the eve of battle, the men were sober, anxious and loud. The camp was overcrowded, the sound of battle cries and chants, followed by the clanging of metal on metal as weapons were sharpened and armour bent into shape. I walked briskly through the camp, heading for the prisoner pens. Many men, knights and commanders bowed there head as I passed. I had become an important and well know part of Renly's army. As I reached the edges of camp, there were less people - most men were busy cleaning and polishing armour, or sitting around a campfire telling tales of home. The prisoner cells were makeshift our of wooden bars, each small yet crammed with several people. The prisoners were all chained to the bars with there hands behind their back. It took me several minutes to find who I was looking for. Asher. He had been separated from the rest due to several escape attempts. He was chained and bound at the hands and the feet. Rodrick was in the cell block next to him again on his own. The were bloody and muddy. Both looked tired and broken.

I let myself into Asher's cage, bending down leaning on my heels next to him. I used a rag to wipe his face. When he looked at me he did not speak, he only spat at me. His spit and blood gracing my face, he looked away unwilling to even acknowledge my presence again.

"Asher .... I do not know where to start." I was lost for words, how could I apologise to my brother when I had destroy their lives. Through the bars I could see Rodrick raise his head when he heard my voice.

"Leave us be you piece of shit." Rodrick's voice was bitter and cruel. Asher still wouldn't look at me.

I was lost for words, stammering, like a scared child. All I could do was drop the knife and key at Asher's back. Then he looked at me, puzzled.

"Wait for midnight, at the change of guard. Isobel and Prim will be ready. " Asher nodded slowly, Rodrick watching my every move. I stood and left as quickly as I had arrived.