FIVE

Emma Pov.

I felt the palms of my hands start to get clammy as Ethan just stared
down at me. I should have watched where I was going. Now he was probably planning in his mind how he would beat my ass quietly. I looked down at my feet that were to my surprise, wearing Grayson's socks.

"Again, Chamberlain. Watch where you're goi-ng." I heard Ethan say & his voice slightly wavered at the end of his sentence. He seemed out of it....maybe because of his father's & his argument? I was going to apologize or plead mercy for running into him but my stomach made a noise, a sharp pain shot through it. I sucked in a breath, trying to be quiet about it. Wouldn't want Ethan thinking I'm human & get hungry would I? I chuckled on the inside at my joke.

I looked back up at Ethan since he was still standing in front of me & I moved to walk towards Grayson's room but Ethan slid in front of me, standing in my way. I flinched slightly at the movement. Great. I didn't wanna look up at him, I could already feel him staring down at me.

"You didn't eat whatever Grayson made you, did you." Ethan basically stated & I didn't respond. I heard him scoff above me & I glanced up at him through my eyelashes. I decided to take a chance on a touchy subject. "I uh...heard you and your dad....are you okay?" I tried to change the subject, not wanting to get into how it was his fault I wasn't eating. I saw him clench his jaw & look away from my eyes. "I'm fine." He gritted out & I raised an eyebrow at him, staring at his bruised jaw that from what I remember...wasn't bruised at the football game.

He seemed deep in thought, staring at the wall so I decided to take another chance by lightly touching the bruise with my fingertips. To my surprise, he didn't make any movement as I touched the wound. I thought he would be like; "Don't touch me whore." or something. I dropped my hand back to my side.

"Ethan. Are you okay?" I asked again, not believing him the first time. He snapped his gaze back to me & now he seemed angry. "I said I'm fine," he spat & walked even closer towards me with his fists clenched, "it's none of your business anyway slut." He gritted. I backed up with him following until my back was pressed against the cold wall.

"You don't seem fine." I whispered. Honestly at this point, I didn't care what happened to me. I was too weak to fight back anyway if he were to do something. Ethan's lips parted & he stared at me darkly. "I'm perfectly fine goddammit!" He raised his voice & slammed his clenched fist against the wall, right next to my head.

I stared at him unbothered, watching as he wound himself up because he was indeed, not fine. I softly poked my finger at his darkened jaw & gave him a look. "That bruise says otherwise Ethan." I said.

What was I doing? I was gonna get myself into some deep shit if I didn't stop, but I found myself wanting to continue winding him up until he broke.

He grabbed my wrist & shoved my hand back to my side, away from his face. "I. Am. Fine." His voice cracked on the word 'fine' as he said this & I tilted my head at him. He bit his lip & to my shock, his eyes began to water slightly.

"No. You're not." I stated quietly & he glared down at the floor. I watched as he raised his fist to punch the wall again, but he hesitated. He flickered his dark eyes from mine, to the wall & back again. He dropped his fist & ducked his head, leaning forward so that he was leaning fully against me & sagged his head against the wall above my head.

"I'm fine." He stated as his voice turned high pitched. He breathed out shakily & let out a quiet sob. Ethan was breaking down....in front of me?

I wrapped my arms around him cautiously, feeling like he would reject the comforting motion. He didn't though, he just began to hiccup out more sobs & dropped his head into my shoulder. I felt his whole body shake as he cried into my shirt.