FORTY FOUR

Emma
Three Years Later

I dropped my bag and my keys onto the kitchen counter, disrupting the silence that lurked throughout the house.

Ethan and I had our own place now, we had bought it only a few months ago.

It wasn't small, nor was it big.

It was just a house. Perfect in size.

It had feather grey siding decorating the outside that was complimented by an off-white, eggshell painted door.

It was a two bedroom, one bathroom house.

One master bedroom that Ethan and I stayed in and one guest bedroom for whenever friends decided to stay the night.

It had a beautiful kitchen and a cozy living room, as well as a modern dining room that had a table with just the right amount of chairs.

Shaggy, tan carpet floored the living room and the two bedrooms, while a dark hardwood floor spread through the hallway and the other rooms.

The bathroom floor was tiled with a marbled white and grey mixture, adding to the ivory walls.

It was two towns over from where our families lived, so not too far away, but just enough to have a little distance.

Distance was good.

"I'm home!" I called out into the seemingly empty house.

Ethan's Mom now had a house to herself, considering all of her kids now had their own places.

But every Friday night she invited everyone over for dinner and games to 'keep' the family together as she would put it.

I didn't mind, I loved being able to get closer to Cameron and get to check in with Grayson more often.

Lisa was happier without Sean around.

And even though it had been three years since their divorce, she hadn't dated around at all or been interested in anyone.

When I asked her about it, she had told me that she wasn't looking for another relationship, that she didn't need one when she had her kids.

She told me she was at peace having the whole house to herself.

And she had begun taking painting classes, as well as becoming a real green thumb when she turned almost her whole backyard into a garden full of different vegetables and flowers.

Even as her hair grew a little grey, she became less and less stressed throughout the years.

She loved it when I would go visit her, always saying that she now considered me her other daughter next to Cameron.

I considered her my Mom in a way.

She would always be there for me whenever I needed motherly advice or just as girl's day out at the spa or wherever.