FIFTEEN

Ethan Pov.

I groaned as I felt my hip sharply hit something hard & metal, a stair railing I'm assuming. I wasn't sure though, when I looked down all I saw was a thin black blur. I heard Emma chuckle next to me & her soft grip on my bicep tugged me in a different direction. I readjusted my grip on the prescription bottle in my hand, also holding the eye drops I had been prescribed by Dr. Shitface.

I stumbled to a stop when I felt Emma stop, almost tripping over my own feet. Her small hands dropped off of me. Remind me why I'm even letting her touch me? I honestly don't fucking know. I watched her blurry figure open the car door & then felt her hands gently guide me so I was now seated in the passenger seat of her 'Subaru'. I reached for the seatbelt after she shut the door & clicked the cold metal piece into place. I then dropped my prescriptions into my lap & pulled the sleeves of my hoodie over my freezing hands as far as possible, rubbing them together. Fucking Christ it was cold outside. It was December 2nd now though, Christmas coming up soon as it got frostier outside. Still no snow though.

Emma's presence was suddenly next to me on the other side of the middle console as she slammed the car door shut, making me jump slightly. I looked over at her blurry posture, squinting my eyes as they stung. I couldn't tell if she was smiling or making a dumb face at me. "What?" She asked & I slumped back into the leather seat, huffing out a cold breath in frustration. I could barely see shit. "Nothing." I said shortly, hearing as she turned the key into the ignition only to turn the heat on. "Fine, moody." Was her response & I glared at the glove compartment. "I can't believe you forgot to take out your contacts. And you even took a hot shower with them in?!" She exclaimed, almost sounding like she was talking to herself. Way to make me feel worse about the situation. I shrugged, twiddling my blurs of thumbs as I moved my gaze down to them. I definitely did not want to talk about why I forgot to take them out, the reason being I was being too much of a pussy to even think after getting yet another beating from my father of the year. According to the doctor, the contacts had melted into my eyes because of me letting them sit in for too long & because of the hot steam from the shower I took.

"Hey, I didn't mean it like that." I then heard Emma say quietly & I didn't respond, still mad that I couldn't even look at her to respond without my eyes stinging like hell. "E." She said. I lowered my eyelids at my lap. "Ethan I'm sorry." She stated. I just sighed. "Etha-" She started but I cut her off. "Fucking stop, okay?" I said rudely, before I could stop myself. I heard her breath hitch & then her seatbelt click before the car started to move. I stared at the floor of her car with regret flooding through me. I didn't mean to come off like that.

Emma Pov.

"Fucking stop, okay?" Ethan's voice continued to ring throughout my mind. I fucking did it now. I pissed him off & now I would probably pay the price. He may not be able to see well, but he could probably still hit me even without good vision. I bit my lip, ignoring the pricking tears of fear in the corner of my eyes. Fucking emotions.

I suddenly felt Ethan's hand on my arm & I flinched harshly, causing my car to swerve as I pulled over on the side of the road & unbuckled quickly to back up against my locked car door with my hands held up defensively. "Please don't I'm sorry, I didn't mean t-" I shut my eyes tightly as I started to ramble but was cut off by him saying, "Hey, fuck, woah calm down. I'm not gonna hit you....?" I clenched my jaw, not believing him as my arms betrayed me by moving down from their defensive state slightly. I opened my eyes, feeling his hand sit lightly on my arm as he leaned over the console. I flinched at the contact but he didn't move. "Sorry for snapping at you....I shouldn't have done that, I'm just pissed that I can't see shit right now." He said, blinking his still swollen eyes. The swelling had gone down slightly, thanks to the eye drops & pills that Dr. Moore had given him.