THIRTY

Emma Pov.

The room fell dead silent & my heart caught in my throat as my eyes lingered on Ethan who's shoulders were moving up & down greatly after he had just been yelling. Grayson's arms unwrapped from around me slowly & my stare didn't move away from his twin. Ethan was in love with me too? My heart skipped a beat as the ethereal thought entered my mind. My attention was brought back to reality as Ethan suddenly shook his head, clenching his jaw & I caught a small glint of what looked like sadness & anger in his eyes before he turned around & stormed out of the living room. Without any hesitation I turned to look at Grayson & raised my hand up, slapping him across the face. He brought his hand up to his now reddening cheek & his jaw dropped open as he looked at me with wide eyes. "Hey-" He started but I cut him off. "What the hell was that about?!" I exclaimed. He knew I was in love with Ethan, not him so what was his issue?!

Grayson's eyebrows raised as a door slammed shut loudly upstairs & I glared at him. "I wasn't for real, I just wanted to push Ethan into admitting his feelings. I didn't know he would react like that. It was all fake, a plan." He explained & my lips parted at him in a triggering way. "So James crying was fake too?" I asked & his eyebrows furrowed. "Crying? He must've been playing along pretty well then, I texted him about the plan and how it was just fake." He stated & my eyes lowered at him. "Really? You texted him even though his phone is fucking broken?" I scoffed & his face went pale. "Oh my God I forgot about that. B-but this was all supposed to be fake..." He trailed off, sounding like he was reassuring himself more than me. "Tell that to your boyfriend who thinks you actually left him for me." I said, giving him a stern look before standing up from the now uncomfortable couch & walking over to the bottom of the staircase. I paused & placed my hand on the wall, looking back at Grayson who was still staring at the ground while looking dazed. "By the way, that was a stupid plan." I said a little loudly so he would hear & his eyes only flicked to mine before moving back down to the floor. I turned back around, jogging up the stairs & flicking the light switch in the hallway on when my foot left the last step. I wouldn't stay mad at Grayson forever because we are best friends, but for now I was pretty pissed. Not only did he maybe just screw up the only true relationship he's ever had, but who knows how he made Ethan feel.

I walked slowly down the hallway, something on the wall catching my eye as I moved closer to it. I stopped & stared at the dull blue color of the wall, a fist-sized hole now punched into it with a few drops of blood around it. My eyes widened slightly, knowing who caused that to happen. I turned on my heel & picked up my pace, reaching the door to Ethan's room. I placed my hand onto the metal handle & turned it, inhaling in slight worry when it didn't turn as Ethan had locked it. I bit my lip, thinking as my eyes wandered the hallway. An idea popped into my head & I mentally shrugged as I stood on my tiptoes, reaching above the top of the door & feeling around for a small object. My fingertips grazed something metal & I grinned in victory, grabbing the key between my fingers & taking it down. I shoved the small piece of metal into the keyhole on the door handle & swung the door open, my eyes saddening at the sight of Ethan curled into a ball on his bed with his back facing me. Every muscle in his body looked tense & I stepped closer.

"Ethan." I said & Ethan didn't move from the position he was laying in. "Why are you in here. Shouldn't you be hanging out with your boyfriend." He muttered coldly & I frowned, walking the rest of the way over to the bed. "No, I don't like Grayson like that and you know that. He's my best friend and that's all he ever will be." I stated, sitting down on the edge of the bed & making the mattress dip slightly. I looked down at him, seeing the way his eyelids were lowered as if he was tired & how he cradled one hand with the other. "Let me see." I said & his eyes barely flicked up to look at mine. "See what?" He mumbled, pulling his hands closer to himself. "Your hand Ethan, I saw the hole in the wall. Let me see it." I stated & he just shook his head. I frowned & reached over him, gently grabbing his wrist in which he resisted against my tug. "Ethan." I groaned & he didn't respond, only fighting against my pull. "Go look at Grayson's hand, I bet he'd love if you kissed it better." He muttered & my jaw clenched as my eyes moved to look at his own dark green ones. I let go of his wrist & immediately brought my hands to his cheeks, turning his reluctant face up to look at me. "Stop it. I'm not in love with Grayson, Ethan. I'm in love with you, you already know that so shut the hell up and believe me." I said, raising my eyebrows down at him & his eyes searched mine for a moment as if uncertain. An urge overtook me & I leaned down, pressing my forehead against his as his breath hitched. I glanced down at his lips & then looked back up into his eyes. "I love you Ethan Grant Dolan. I fell in love with the one person I hated the most. And now you're the person I love the most." I stated & his eyes gazed into mine with an unreadable emotion. He glanced down at my lips before looking back up again & my heart skipped a beat. "Only if you want to." I whispered, referring to look he just gave my lips & his breathing stuttered. "Did you not listen to my yelling earlier?" He asked, letting out a soft chuckle as his eyes crinkled with a small smile. "There's the smile I love." I whispered, laughing lightly. He rolled his eyes, his eyelashes fluttering against my skin. I licked my lips before looking at him seriously & he stared back with an intent gaze, our foreheads still pressed together. My heart fluctuated again at his gaze. Is this what it's like to be in love?