FORTY

Ethan

Emma's Room

I stayed still for a few minutes, half-sitting up as I leaned back on my elbows. My hair felt messy and I felt disoriented as my now awake eyes continued to stare at the locked bathroom door.

My heart beat was slow and painful as what had just happened replayed in my mind. Emma had dreamt about me hurting her...touching her. At first I thought it was Cameron that she was dreaming about, but then, she said my name. The tone of her voice sounded so scared and it tugged roughly at my heart strings.

Was she not ready for last night? Did I hurt her? Was I too rough? What if she connected me to Cameron because I wasn't gentle enough?

My nerves spiked anxiously as my thoughts ran wild, immediately thinking the worst. What if...she hates me again?

My hearing suddenly picked up on the faint sound of sniffling and I snapped out of my clouded thoughts, the grain of the wooden door coming into focus. I gently peeled the comforter off of me and tossed the corner of it to the other side of the bed that was now empty.

The cool air rose goosebumps onto my exposed skin, reminding me of last night's events, as well as how silent the air in the room was.

I moved off of the bed, bending down momentarily to pull on my boxer briefs that had been discarded onto the floor last night.

I felt around the soft carpeted floor for another item of clothing and my fingertips touched the thick material of my sweatpants that I had changed out of before we went swimming.

I carefully pulled the grey item of clothing on and tied the white drawstrings so that the pants stayed perfectly on my hip bones, the band of my boxers slightly showing above the waistband.

The room was still dark, only a faint amount of light peaking in through the curtains as I gave up trying to find my shirt through the darkness.

I padded softly over to the bathroom and lingered infront of the door, my eyes looking at the locked handle.

"Emma?" I asked gently, rapping my knuckle against the door a few times.

I got no response.

"Emma, I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I should've never gone too rough lastnight or even pushed things that far in the first place. I understand if you don't wanna see me, I wouldn't either." I explained, genuinely nervous of what I done.

My hands shook slightly and my breathing picked up a little as a heavy wave of guilt washed over me. Emma probably hated me for what I had done.

A click suddenly tore through the pitiful silence and my distracted gaze snapped down to look at the door handle.

I clenched my jaw as the door was slowly pulled open, revealing Emma, looking small as she stood there only wearing my orange hoodie that I had left in the bathroom lastnight.

"You think this is your fault?" She asked, her slightly red eyes staring into mine as her eyebrows furrowed.

I swallowed slowly, biting my lip.

"I'm so sorry." I let out, feeling vulnerable as I dragged my eyes to the floor.

"Ethan, look at me." She said softly, her hands framing the sides of my face and forcing my gaze to meet her own.

"You did nothing wrong. I loved lastnight and there's not an ounce of me that regrets it. It was amazing. You were amazing." She stated, her thumbs rubbing softly against my cheekbones.