FORTY ONE

Ethan
His House

"You little fucker, give it back!" I yelled, wrapping my arms around my bare chest.

"Look!" Emma yelled, her eyes filling with tears of laughter as she gripped my shirt in her hand and pointed at me.

"Oh my God." My mom snorted, covering her mouth with her hand as a smile spread across her face.

I glared at her.

"Did you even put a single drop of sunscreen on?" She laughed and I made a dumb facial expression.

"Obviously not." I responded, looking down at my once tan skin that was now a burnt red from being under the hot sun the past week.

"Jesus Ethan, at least Emma had the common sense to take care of herself." She continued, pinching the bridge of her nose and shaking her head.

"Thank you!" Emma said, her eyes wide as she looked at my mom.

I smiled, seeing how happy she looked in this moment.

She deserved happiness.

I hope I make her happy enough.

"Here you big baby, stop looking so sad." Her voice suddenly brought me out of my thoughts as my shirt was shoved against my chest, making me wince a little as my sensitive skin came in contact with it.

I stuck my tongue out at her childishly and pulled my shirt over my head, pulling my arms through the sleeves.

"Let's go say hi to Gray!" She suggested and I slowed my actions, my jaw clenching.

"I dunno, he's probably still mad at me for not telling him about Sean." I spoke and her eyes softened as she stepped closer to me.

"Ethan, if he's still mad at you then that's bullshit. It's not your fault you didn't want to tell him and if anything, you were protecting him. He has no right to still be mad at you." She explained, sincerity lacing through her gaze.

A smile slowly spread across my frowning lips and I stepped closer to her, wrapping my arms around her.

"I love you." I said, feeling like I could say it over and over again.

"I love you too." She responded, her voice muffled against my chest.

"Now stop stalling, time to go." She announced, patting my shirt with her hand as she pulled away from me and started making her way up the stairs.

I sighed, following closely behind as we reached the top of the staircase and began walking down the hallway.

We reached Grayson's room, his door cracked open slightly.

"Gray!" Emma yelled as she shoved the door open, barging into his room.

I walked in after her as she looked like she was about to tackle Grayson who was now sitting up on his bed with wide eyes.

"I missed you!" Emma continued, leaning down to hug him as gently as possible.

He smiled into her shoulder, hugging her back.