FORTY THREE

Emma
Two Months Later

"Welcome to our shack." Grayson muttered, gesturing around their new house with his hand.

"Shut up Gray, it's better than nothing." Ethan slapped his twin's arm.

"Hey! Don't hit handicapped people!" Grayson spoke, glaring at Ethan while rubbing his arm.

Ethan rolled his eyes.

"That doesn't work on me anymore asshat. I saw you doing flips on the trampoline yesterday, you're fine. It's been like two months." Ethan explained and Grayson stuck his tongue out at his brother childishly.

"It's not that bad. It's actually really homey in here." I changed the topic back to their new house that was a little smaller than their last one.

"To a flea." Grayson deadpanned and Ethan smacked him across the head.

"Shut the hell up, it's better than having to live with Sean." Ethan said, visibly tensing at his own words.

I grabbed his hand, lacing our fingers together and rubbing my thumb over the permanent scar on his skin where Sean had put a cigarette out.

Ethan had been an eight grader when it happened, Sean's abuse just starting to bloom and it was when he still smoked.

"True." Grayson agreed, crossing his arms and nodding.

"Well I'm glad you at least like it Emma." I heard Lisa's voice come from behind me and I turned around, smiling widely as she pulled me into a hug.

"I haven't seen you in forever!" She spoke, smiling against my shoulder.

"You saw me like two weeks ago when I helped with packing stuff into the moving truck." I chuckled, shaking my head as she hugged me tighter.

Over the past few months, Lisa and I had grown closer.

She felt like the mother figure that was missing in my life and she told me she liked having another girl around while Cameron was still in college.

"Whatever." She mumbled, pulling away from the hug to tuck a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Did he treat you and your house well while he stayed with you the past few months?" She asked, pointing a suspicious glare at Ethan.

I couldn't help the blush that spread across my cheeks as I nodded, seeing Ethan bite his lip and look down at the floor out of the corner of my eye.

"Good." Lisa decided and then stared at me for a second, her eyes warm and caring.

"Are you gonna stay for dinner?" She questioned, looking hopeful.

"Yeah, Ethan said you were gonna make your famous casserole, so I have to stay and try it." I joked and she smiled, nodding.

"Alright, I'll leave you guys alone now, just wanted to say hi to my favorite child." She said, letting go of me and sending a wink towards her sons before heading back in the direction of the new kitchen.