FORTY TWO

Emma
Her House

"Awh, they're so cute together." I cooed, watching the large screen in front of me that had Netflix playing.

"Eh, she'd be cuter with her best friend instead of his brother to be honest." My Dad stated his opinion, shrugging as he dug into the popcorn bowl sitting next to him on the sofa.

"Are you serious?! The height difference between her and his brother is so much cuter though!" I scoffed, throwing my arms up.

"He's like two feet taller than her, I wouldn't call that giraffe 'cute'." My dad rose his eyebrows at me as he spoke and I squinted my eyes at him.

"At least his hair is better than the best friend's." I muttered and my Dad snorted.

"You just like guys with dark, messy hair." He teased and I gasped.

"Shut up." I shot him a glare and he rolled his eyes, a chuckle escaping his lips in between pieces of popcorn.

"It's true." He stated and I crossed my arms, fighting the smile that wanted to stretch across my lips.

He wasn't wrong.

"Whatever." I mumbled and he scoffed out a small laugh.

"Hey, I heard that Lisa gained full custody over the twins and their sister, is that true?" He suddenly asked and my eyes moved to look at him.

"Uh, yeah, Sean got sent to prison for who knows how long and after Lisa had found out about what had been happening and she thought about it for a good week, she called it quits and filed for a divorce as well as full custody over the twins and Cameron." I explained and my Dad nodded slowly, his hand lingering in the bowl of popcorn.

"How's Lisa holding up?" He questioned.

"She's doing okay, still a little conflicted about the whole situation. But since their house is pretty big and expensive and Lisa no longer has Sean helping to pay the bills, they're moving next week." I said.

"That soon?" He asked, seeming shocked.

"Yeah and that reminds me, I've been meaning to ask you if Ethan could maybe-sort of-possibly stay at our house for the next week while their house is in the process of being emptied?" I asked, a hint of hope in the tone of my voice.

My Dad lowered his eyelids at me and I gave him a hopeful look.

"Please. Lisa is gonna stay at a hotel and Gray is staying with his friend from football." I begged and he sighed.

I stared at him for a moment, batting my eyelashes.

He rolled his eyes, letting out another sigh.

"Fine. But he's sleeping in the guest room and there will be no sex under my roof." He stated gruffly and my nose wrinkled as I felt a shade of pink creeping onto my cheeks.

"Dad." I groaned and he shot his hands up in mock surrender, raising his eyebrows.

"Hey, I was a hormonal teenager once too and–" He began.