TWENTY THREE

Emma Pov.

My lower body had a low ache to it as I fluttered my eyes open slowly & was met with a bright light blinding me. I closed my eyes tightly in pain at the brightness & saw spots in my vision as I tried to open them again. "You're awake! Oh, sorry!" I heard a high pitched voice say & the light above me was suddenly dimmed to a much more suitable brightness. "How're you feeling?" The same voice asked again & I shook my head, trying to figure out where I was as I ignored the woman questioning me. I moved my head around & scanned the room I was in. A hospital room. My stomach dropped as memories from earlier & the reason for why I was in here hit me. Ethan. Grayson. Cameron-Cameron raping me.

I sat up quickly in the hospital bed & looked around fearfully as the lady nurse who I could see that had bright pink hair placed her hands on my chest to push me back down gently onto the bed. "Calm down." She said slowly & I breathed deeply, trying to calm the flood of memories heading towards me. I looked around the room, trying to find something to focus on & my eyes landed on the lady's metal name tag that was pinned to the breast pocket on her scrubs. Jaylee read the metal engraved tag. My breathing slowed only a little as she gave me a warm smile. "Are you in any pain?" Jaylee asked me politely & I moved around a little bit against the thin sheets, testing the waters. The only part of my body that hurt a little bit was where Cameron had....intruded in on my body. I bit my lip, trying to hold back a few tears. I had already cried enough from what I could recall. I gave Jaylee a small nod. "Could you tell me where please Emma?" She questioned & I pursed my quivering lips, knowing if I where to speak I would breakdown. "Or you can point if you'd like." She suggested & I sighed gratefully for a moment. I raised my hand up from my side, cringing at the IV that was jabbed into my skin surrounded by wires. I pointed shakily down at my crotch area & Jaylee nodded, looking sad. "I figured. I'm so sorry you had to go through that." She said sympathetically & I nodded, letting a single tear fall down my cheek. "Well I will go get the doctor and send her in for you while I retrieve some pain killers for you. If you need something and the doctor isn't here in time, just press the red button right behind you." She said while gesturing to what I assumed was the button behind me before giving me a warm smile & walking gracefully out of the room. I was left with an anxious silence, the only sound being a low humming noise from the machines in the room.

After a few moments there were light footsteps sounding like heels outside of the doorway & I quickly wiped the few more tears that had fallen onto my cheeks. A tall woman with dark brown hair thrown up into a ponytail swayed into the room while holding a clipboard & stopped next to where I was laying. "Miss. Chamberlain, I'm Doctor Beth and I will be treating you this morning before making sure you'll be able to go home later on today." Doctor Beth explained & I nodded shakily. I just wanted to go home. No wait, no I didn't. If I went home my dad would be there. "Jaylee, your nurse, told me that you only have pain in your vaginal area am I correct?" Beth asked me & I nodded again in approval. "Alright," She said & looked down to write something on her clipboard, "we did a thorough check up on you down there earlier and everything seems to be alright. There was only one medium-sized tear that might cause some pain, but that should heal in a few days to a week." I blinked slowly, processing the information my doctor had given me. I felt like crying again. I looked up at her & her facial expression slowly turned into a devastating frown as she looked down at me. "There's one more thing." She said & my eyebrows furrowed at the tone of her voice, it suddenly sounding thick with sadness. "Emma," She started & I clenched my jaw in anticipation, "you were pregnant weren't you?" My heart stopped as I remembered that fact & I felt my hands start to shake as my eyes watered. I was pregnant with Ethan's baby. I nodded my head hesitantly. "Y-yes." I answered & her lips parted slightly downward, giving the room a melancholy feeling. I shook my head at her in disbelief. "N-no, no please no. Tell me it's okay...t-tell me the b-baby is okay." I pleaded quietly with a sharp voice & her shoulders slumped sadly as she looked down at me. Tears spilled over my eyelids as she shook her head slowly. "I'm very sorry, there seemed to be too much stress put on you from the attack and your stomach is very bruised. The baby...." She trailed off & looked anywhere around the room except at me, "didn't make it." I let out a choked breath & hiccuped as I let out a small sob. "N-no!" I cried out & she tilted her head sadly at me. "Oh sweetie I'm so sorry, you don't deserve this." She cooed & leaned down by me, pulling me into a hug as she set her clipboard down. I cried into her shoulder, my body shaking as some pain shot through the bruises on my stomach. I inhaled shortly, not seeming to get enough air as hot & sticky tears rolled down my cheeks & onto Beth's shoulder. She smelled of cheap perfume as she dragged her cold fingers comfortingly through my hair, hushing me gently. I went limp against her in disbelief. The baby is dead. My baby is dead. E-Ethan's baby is dead. This is all my fault, I should've shut up when Cameron threatened me & this wouldn't have happened.